RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

POE Switches

RobbieH

I am using this one to run 8 POE cameras:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GAATOG

The lack of gigabit has not been a problem for me, even with 3MP cameras. I run 6 frames per second, which I have found to be plenty of data.

For twice the money, I would not be afraid to give this one a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RWB5758

In fact, I wouldn't mind having one of these to solve the daisy-chaining I have going on.

The Linksys and TP-Link items at the top of the page only have 4 ports of PoE. I have the TP-Link model, and use it for a few additional cams. I have that 8 port item cascading into the TP-Link, since the TP-Link has a gigabit uplink. As I said, this has been working great for me, and has been for a long time. Looking at my order data on Amazon, I bought that BV on November 19, 2013.

nrf

if one has extra poe capability (ports, mA) voip phones are a possible usage too.

pcdoc

I've had great success with this switch, it was pretty cheap too.  I'm powering 3 HikVision 1080p camera off it.  The only thing I'd say is it's fan cooled, so you have the normal 40mm whiner, but I have it in the top of the cloakroom cupboard, so no massive issue.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-42_TL-SG1008PE.html

I actually had that one for a short time.  It worked great and was a nice unit but as you said it was really loud for the office environment I was putting it in.

snapper

Best bang for buck I've found (and I've had a lot of PoE switches in my lab :o ) is the Netgear GS110TP - 8 PoE 802.3f ports and 2 SFP ports for uplinks.

Gigabit throughout and has nice features such as showing power draw, schedules to turn things on/off as needed etc.

The best small one I had though was the Cisco SG300-10MP. Loads of features and rock solid but a bit pricy...

And if you go for a standard 802.3af/at switch, you can use a PoE splitter to power non PoE devices.

e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PoE10R-TL-POE10R-PoE-Splitter/dp/B001PS4NWW- this takes standard PoE in and provides a jack with switchable 12v/9v and 5v output.

It negotiates as a class 0 device, so the full 15w is available for the device being powered.

• Like 1

Trig0r

We tend to use the TP-Link ones here at work as they are cheap and cheerful, most of the issues we have area actaully with the NVR's themselves but we are sorting that out with Honeywell hopefully...

LoneWolf

I have two PoE switches:

1) Netgear GS110TP.  I brought this to the HSS meetup for my network config.  802.3f, fully managed 10-port gig switch.  It's small, price is right, and has a lifetime warranty.  About the only gripe I have with Netgear switches is their management GUI is slow.

2) My main switch is the Cisco SG300-10MPP.  There are different versions of the SG300 line,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-smart-switches/data_sheet_c78-610061.html

My version has PoE+ and the highest power budget (there's also 10P and 10PP; P is PoE with a moderate power budget, and PP is PoE+, also with a moderate power budget).  The Cisco Small Business line is more expensive than Netgear, but is switchable between Layer 2 and Layer 3.  Unlike Cisco Enterprise, you don't need a support contract for firmware.  The GUI is well done and responsive, but you can also manage them via command-line if you want enterprise networking experience.  Also a lifetime warranty.

Both of these switches support link aggregation (I'm using the Cisco to LAGG my server), VLANs, and more.  Both have fiber uplinks; in the near future I'll be linking them together this way (mainly because I can, used 10-25m fiber patch cables aren't very expensive :)).  Currently I don't have any powered devices, but I have a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO access point that will be powered off one or the other when it arrives; it's on temporary backorder.  I bought both of them very lightly used on eBay; they had been kept by other netadmins as spares for backups; this meant I paid about half price for each.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

LoneWolf

I should add, both of the above switches are fanless, so they're quiet.  They use big external power bricks to allow that, but I think that's worth it.

gallery_4021_105_74348.jpg

pcdoc

I should add, both of the above switches are fanless, so they're quiet.  They use big external power bricks to allow that, but I think that's worth it.

gallery_4021_105_74348.jpg

Nice switches.  I looked up the price of the CISCO and was less than I would have thought.  Will have to look at that one in the future if my needs grow.

nrf

what is benefit of a short fiber interconnect? I have a possible future use for a fiber between main house and an out-building but I would not think of it for two items on the same rack.

Edited by nrf

GotNoTime

what is benefit of a short fiber interconnect? I have a possible future use for a fiber between main house and an out-building but I would not think of it for two items on the same rack.

If you can get a copper version for less and the distance is very short then there isn't really any reason to use fiber for normal installations. You may do so for uniformity where you've got a bunch of long distance fiber runs as well so just want to keep everything same. Usually there is a Direct Attach cable with SFP/SFP+s on the ends that is far cheaper than buying the two SFP/SFP+s.

However, if you're using something like Fiber Channel then you don't get much choice in the matter.