RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE12R2 Dashboard.exe crashing

I recently noticed my Dashboard.exe crashes on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 server.  Nothing catastrophic.  Though I typically RDP into the box and open the dashboard to check the status of backups, etc.  Then, when I disconnect the RDP session and re-connect later, the dashboard remains open.

Recently, when I've logged back into my RDP sessions, I've noticed that the dashboard is no longer open.  I can re-launch it without issue.  But I'm constantly having to re-open it.  Regedit on the server shows the following NET Frameworks installed:

The Event Viewer is showing:

.NET Runtime Event 1026

Application error (Dashboard.exe) Error 1000

Application error (Kernelbase.dll) Error 1000

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Drashna Jaelre

• xPETEZx

• oceang

Drashna Jaelre

Check "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" for the "dashboard" logs. It may indicate why it's crashing. 

(this is on the server)

That's why you hold back on installing updates.  However, I installed all pending updates last week and I did not see this issue.

Good advice. How often do you install updates? Or not until you encounter an issue that warrants a specific MS KB update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason
Drashna Jaelre

I've confirmed that i have .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed on my 2012R2E system and no issues with the dashboard (I mean, aside from the normal memory leaks it exhibits. 

Good info. Not sure why 4.6.1 affected my server. Since rolling it back to 4.5.2 it has been bulletproof. Am also adopting jmwillis's approach of waiting at least a week before apply MS updates.

Where is the best place to read about which updates are safe vs not for WSE12R2, TechNet forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

Do you have any add-ins installed on the server? If so, it may be that one or more badly interacted with the new version, rather than the dashboard itself. 

I've seen that happen actually, with other software, at least. 

Checking the logs as I indicated above may let you know what dll crashes (and by inference, what add-on). 

As for updates, the Windows update catalog. The best way? Use WSUS (or ...... if you're willing to pay for it, Windows Intune), as it can be configured to automate this.