RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running out of Disk space

Poppapete

From my signature you can see I have 6 HHD's and no free SATA ports on my Server.

Seems to be only taking videos on my phone instead of photos and boy do they need some storage and I duplicate all the media of my family.  Maybe I should delete some of the movies that I have but can't bring myself to do that. The Hyper-V's also use plenty of space too.

My choices as I see it.

1. Buy some larger say 6TB Drives and replace existing drives (expensive enterprise grade).  In retrospect I would have been better off with cheaper reds or greens then this would have been an easier option.

2. Buy a new server (or just MB) with more SATA ports.

3. Use the pcie slots (all unoccupied) to add pcie ssd's for more storage. I have no experience with adding storage via pcie.  Will drivepool see the drives? Is it too expensive.

All ideas gratefully received!

Do you still have room in your case? 

If so, get an LSI SAS card. Such as the LSI 9207-8i card. You can hook up 8 more drives with that card, and more with an expander. 

If you don't have room: 

Buy a LSI SAS card that has 1 or 2 external ports, and buy/build a SAS Expander chassis. 

And by build, I mean, get an Expander card (such as a Intel res2sv240), an internal to external SAS adapter card, SAS (and breakout cables) and a "JBOD Power board".

The single expander can power up to 20 drives, and you can use any case you want. Just pop down another computer case (or get a rackmount such as a norco or supermicro), and hook up a lot more drives. 

Do you still have room in your case? 

If so, get an LSI SAS card. Such as the LSI 9207-8i card. You can hook up 8 more drives with that card, and more with an expander. 

It is a solution I knew nothing about. The card is expensive but a simple solution. I will open my case and see if I have room for the drives (and power for them).  Some reading suggests a pci fan blowing onto the heat sink is a good idea! I could save 50% by getting the LSI SAS 9211-4i. The 9211 series are older and PCIe 2.0 , 9207 are PCIe 3.0 and have a different controller.  Both are 6Gb/s.  What are your thoughts? I will only be using Drivepool (no RAID).  :)

EDIT:

Just found a 9207-8i for $100 on Aliexpress (China) so I will give it a go in my SupermicroServer.

AS always thank you very the good advice.

• Like 1

Either would do, but the main difference is the max throughput for the card (PCI-e 3.0 being twice the speed of PCI-e 2.0). 

The 9027 card being PCI-e 3.0.  But either card would work. And they're both "HBA" cards, so no RAID. So pretty much perfect for StableBit DrivePool. :)

And yeah, SAS stuff is pretty awesome. If you notice, the card itself supports 100+ drives, by using "SAS Expanders", such as the Intel RES2SV240 card, or similar. These expander cards work as .. well, "storage switches" allowing you to use a single cable to add many more drives (i'm using this in my behemoth of a server).  

and glad to show you something new and awesome. (and that is kind of just the tip of the iceberg)

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the 9207 and added 1 3TB Drive (It can take 8 without expanders). Rebooted Server and there it was.  Did not have to load any drivers.  Added it DrivePool. Great way to add extra drives as long as there is room in the case.

Perfect solutionfor my situation Drashna.

• Like 1

One other recommendation, PoppaPete,

Since many people operate their digital cameras at double or triple the resolution they need, there are some tools out there that can batch-resize images down to a standard that will cull drive space.  So if your photos are 10-megapixel monsters, consider sizing them all down to a standard resolution that's still suitable for 20 x 30 poster prints, but no larger.

I got my LSI 9261-8i with 512MB brand-new whitebox for $120.  It worked really well in the Lenovo TS140 I had; they're solid controllers.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1