RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Palm Pre Discussion

greenawayj

Jim --- thanks for this info. I've been running my cloud storage setup as "Wuala Only" now since February and just love it. I have 103GB available to me (I'm sharing about 65GB out to others). I have some of my most important stuff from WHS set as a nightly backup and it seems to run religiously... It's saved me a few times when I was at work and needed something from my home office desktop (which syncs to WHS hourly using GoodSync) and then backs up nightly to Wuala....

P.S. Sorry to go off-topic I know you're a Palm Pre guy -- have you checked out Mode Switcher yet? It's an amazing "Profile" app that will automatically change your phone settings (volumes, brightness, radio status, etc...) based on triggers (Day/time, charger status, calender events, etc...) If you ever used ProfileCare, Profiles, or SPM, this does everything they did, and actually so much more.... Ping me if you'd like more info. It's too bad there aren't enough of us Pre users to go around.

greenawayj - man, we really need to start going by first names around here! :) I have not tried Mode Switcher as of yet. I am kind of a min guy when it come to apps on my phone. Not sure why. I'll take a look at it.

What are your plans for your Pre? Are you going to stick with it? Do you listen to any Palm podcasts? Excited about new hardware or 2.0 coming by the end of the year? Do you think HP will bring anything to the table?

Not to hijack this post...maybe we should start a new on on the adding apple site? jk.

Jim... Thanks for the reply. First of all, I'm definitely cool with "John"... I know some guys really like their handles, but mines not really too cool so first names are fin.

As for the Pre / WebOS discussion.... I think it's a good idea to move the discussion over here...

I'm absolutely sticking with WebOS - especially now that they are part of HP. I genuinely think it's the most intuitive and user friendly mobile OS out right now - The card interface, true multitasking, and personal customization (patches, etc.) being the key things for me. Clearly, we don't have 40,000 or 200,000 apps yet, but I can only think of about 10 (max) that I'd really like to see.... By the way, for the Apple and Android folks out there.... I'm not looking for a fight on this so no flames -- it's just my opinion and personal preference!

For me, the Precentral Podcast (website, podcast, and forums) and the WebOSRoundup (website and podcast -- don't read their forums) are the two places I follow Palm and WebOS news. Generally, that's enough for me to be sure I haven't missed anything.

I definitely think HP will bring WebOS along -- the question is will they have the time committment to reach enough of a mass market presence and critical mass? I hope so. Everyone's been joking about WebOS being on Printers and toasters, etc... the former will clearly happen, but the next device will hopefully be out this fall and they've announced the tablet for early 2011. I was hoping for a tablet / reader for the holidays but glad they are prioritizing the next phone. Hope it's on sprint and 4G which we're getting here in Boston soon.

Finally, I don't use a ton of apps either, I'm mostly a productivity person. I use Dr Podder for autodownloading and then listening to my Podcasts. That's probably my #1 app. But I am a BIG homebrewer recently. I have my user interface patched to look and feel exactly the way I want. Do you use Preware? Overclocking Kernels? (Pre runs amazing at 1 GHz and no more "Too Many Cards" errors. Also, just bought Angry Birds game (my first game except Sudoko) -- it's a nice fun time killer!!! By the way, ModeSwitcher is only availble through Homebrew via Preware.

Anyway, enough for now. I'm happy to continue the conversation here or take it offline or by email if you want... (if others aren't interested). Happy to answer any questions you might have.

John

Thanks John and thanks for moving the discussion. It will be fun to see if we get anyone else chime in. A little bird told me that someone saw Dave in the Verizon store looking at the Palm Pre Plus. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not?

You and I sound like very similar users except that I do not use anything outside the apps catalog. Although, after your comment about the speed improvement, I may try the 1 GHZ patch sometime soon. If it ever bricks my phone, I will just move on to something else.

Dr Potter is by far my most used app followed up by Foursquare. I listen to about 6 other podcasts each week and it does a great job of keeping track of them for me. I ditched my iPod Touch right after I bought the app. Good stuff.

I am not a gamer even though the guys at PreCentral and the webOSradio cannot stop talking about the bird app. It's just me.

I hope HP moves on something soon or I am going to move on to something else outside of WebOS. Love the OS, I just need so NEW HARDWARE soon!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to my post, I just installed Preware and am now using the 1GHz patch to over clock my Pre. Man is that sweet! It uses an application called UberKernal (from WebOS internals) and some monitoring software call Govnah. Took me about 20 minutes to get it all installed and it runs very stable. For us Palm Pre "-" users on Sprint, it's like getting a new phone. Runs at 1GHz when the screen is on, and clocks back down to 500 MHz when it is not. Very cool and my first attempt at Preware. Not sure why it took me so long.

There has also been a bunch of talk about WebOS 2.0 this week. Looks like we might have some good things coming. So, going to hold on to my Pre thru the fall and see what happens. Maybe new hardware from HP, maybe some updated software, maybe a good look at Windows Phone 7? In a holding patern.

• 5 months later...

As an update to my post, I just installed Preware and am now using the 1GHz patch to over clock my Pre. Man is that sweet! It uses an application called UberKernal (from WebOS internals) and some monitoring software call Govnah. Took me about 20 minutes to get it all installed and it runs very stable. For us Palm Pre "-" users on Sprint, it's like getting a new phone. Runs at 1GHz when the screen is on, and clocks back down to 500 MHz when it is not. Very cool and my first attempt at Preware. Not sure why it took me so long.

There has also been a bunch of talk about WebOS 2.0 this week. Looks like we might have some good things coming. So, going to hold on to my Pre thru the fall and see what happens. Maybe new hardware from HP, maybe some updated software, maybe a good look at Windows Phone 7? In a holding patern.

So Jim any chance of one of these in the Collison household any time soon?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/hp-pre-3-first-hands-on/

Jim

So Jim any chance of one of these in the Collison household any time soon?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/hp-pre-3-first-hands-on/

Jim

You may know by now that I switched to Android back in October...tired of waiting for HP. I will have to take a good long look at this before I consider it again. Still a WebOS fanboy, just not sure there is a stong future for the OS.

You may know by now that I switched to Android back in October...tired of waiting for HP. I will have to take a good long look at this before I consider it again. Still a WebOS fanboy, just not sure there is a stong future for the OS.

Look like really nice phones, pre3 being a world phone will be great, and works well with the tablet. This will be on my radar screen next year when time to upgrade.

Jim