RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How fast can it go? E3-1271v3 confirmed working, so 4GHz!

HellDiverUK

Project ML10v2 has finally commenced.

I've just replaced the Pentium G3240 (or whatever it was) with a used E3-1271v3 I got off eBay.  No problems at all, machine didn't complain or skip a beat.

Specs now as follows:

Intel E3-1271v3 3.6GHz, 4C/8T, 4GHZ turbo

32GB RAM (4x Kingston DDR3L-1600 ECC)

Intel Pro SSD 1500 180GB (boot & primary data store)

SanDisk Ultra II 480GB (secondary datastore) - probably swap this for the Corsair Neutron XT later once I decommission the UnRAID box 

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SATA HBA passed through to Server 2012R2 VM (main server)

ESXI 6 (HP custom ISO, so B120i works!)

I still have to figure out data storage drives for the server, which will be using StableBit Drivepool and perhaps FlexRAID/SnapRAID.

I have to say I really love iLO4 now that I've figured it out.  Sitting on the recliner in the living room setting everything up from my laptop.  A modern miracle. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi HellDiverUK, I've bought a ML10 v2 and also a Xeon E3 1241 v3: would you please tell me if you are still using the HP stock dissy without any issue?

Hi HellDiverUK, I've bought a ML10 v2 and also a Xeon E3 1241 v3: would you please tell me if you are still using the HP stock dissy without any issue?

If you mean the stock heatsink I'm using it in mine with a E3-1265L v3. It stays right at 40c per iLO.

The spec sheet for the ML10 v2 shows that one of the Performance shipping configurations is with the Xeon E3-1241v3.

I have not seen more than one heatsink part for the ML10v2-ML310 Gen8 v2-ML30 chassis (which makes sense, as they'd likely have to modify the side baffle), so there should be no issue.

HellDiver, how much did you pay for the 1271, out of curiosity?

Sorry, only got back to this.  I think the 1271v3 was about £250, used from Fleabay.

I'm using the stock heat sink no problems, though on heavy load the case fan does rev up a little more than I'd like.  Plex transcoding makes it get pretty loud.

Many thanks to all, today I've received the last few things that I was waiting for so I'll begin to assemble my new Esx node.

Sorry, only got back to this.  I think the 1271v3 was about £250, used from Fleabay.

I'm using the stock heat sink no problems, though on heavy load the case fan does rev up a little more than I'd like.  Plex transcoding makes it get pretty loud.

Thanks for the reply.  The 1231v3 was $200USD (so about 140BP sterling), so I'm happy with that; I wondered what going prices might be on the ones above it across the pond.  I had to decide where I wanted to go on the ladder, and additional 300GHz-per-core on the base clock plus the four Hyperthreads was good for me, as the US prices jump a bit for the 1241 and quite a bit for the 1271.

The ML310e G8v2 has a front fan standard, so I get a little more cooling unless someone has modded their ML10v2.  But I'm sure I could potentially get more noise if I stress it.  Mine's sealed in a closet in a relatively cool basement, so any noise isn't really an issue, though I don't do any transcoding either.

Edited by LoneWolf