RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MCE & WHS 2011 problem with Video Playback

mailman1988

I have a problem that started a few day's ago.

1st my ISP-Comcast kept cutting in and out. Many hours of work with the tech's seamed to fix it (after many day's of trial and error).

Then I performed an update to Drive Bender to v. 2.4.0.0, Which, for some reason, had me uninstall 2.3.x (which than lost my Pool). After installing the update and performing a lot searching around for solutions, I got my Pool back (This part, I hope). All the data, folders, and files seam to be just fine.

I also believe that I might have a problem with my D-Link 8port Switch. An intermittent problem of zero packs transfer. For this I called D-Link and they are sending me a replacement. However, I don't know if this is related, as I have a 2nd 5 port D-Link switch that I have both my MCE & WHS connected to. The Flow chart is: Cable Modem, to Router, to 5 port, (WHS&MCE) than 8 port.

The 5 port does not seam to have any issues.

Here is where the problem starts.

I have Win7 Media Center on 3 PC's, this issues happens on all 3.  After my snafu with Drive Bender & the Cable Modem, I cannot play Video files through MCE. At first the PC's could not find the Library (Video). So I deleted the Library (Under MCE set up). Than try to re-find and link them. MCE had a lot of difficulty finding the server's libraries. It would spin and spin. Eventually finding them after many minutes. On one machine, I had to manually type in the link.

So now MCE can find the Video Library on the server, but takes a long time to load the individual files. When I go and select a video and click. Nothing happens. It can take 5 or more minutes to play, if at all.

Now if I minimize MCE and use explorer to find and click play, no issues and files play nicely.

What I don't know is where to isolate the problem. Could it be Drive Bender (Reports Healthy), my D-Link, again the 5 port is working fine. Could it be a Windows Update (there have been quite a few in the last week), WHS 2011, or MCE.

Looking forward to any helps.

ps:Before Last week, everything was working fine.

I have a problem that started a few day's ago.

1st my ISP-Comcast kept cutting in and out. Many hours of work with the tech's seamed to fix it (after many day's of trial and error).

Then I performed an update to Drive Bender to v. 2.4.0.0, Which, for some reason, had me uninstall 2.3.x (which than lost my Pool). After installing the update and performing a lot searching around for solutions, I got my Pool back (This part, I hope). All the data, folders, and files seam to be just fine.

I also believe that I might have a problem with my D-Link 8port Switch. An intermittent problem of zero packs transfer. For this I called D-Link and they are sending me a replacement. However, I don't know if this is related, as I have a 2nd 5 port D-Link switch that I have both my MCE & WHS connected to. The Flow chart is: Cable Modem, to Router, to 5 port, (WHS&MCE) than 8 port.

The 5 port does not seam to have any issues.

Here is where the problem starts.

I have Win7 Media Center on 3 PC's, this issues happens on all 3.  After my snafu with Drive Bender & the Cable Modem, I cannot play Video files through MCE. At first the PC's could not find the Library (Video). So I deleted the Library (Under MCE set up). Than try to re-find and link them. MCE had a lot of difficulty finding the server's libraries. It would spin and spin. Eventually finding them after many minutes. On one machine, I had to manually type in the link.

So now MCE can find the Video Library on the server, but takes a long time to load the individual files. When I go and select a video and click. Nothing happens. It can take 5 or more minutes to play, if at all.

Now if I minimize MCE and use explorer to find and click play, no issues and files play nicely.

What I don't know is where to isolate the problem. Could it be Drive Bender (Reports Healthy), my D-Link, again the 5 port is working fine. Could it be a Windows Update (there have been quite a few in the last week), WHS 2011, or MCE.

Looking forward to any helps.

ps:Before Last week, everything was working fine.

Sounds to me like it could be a problem with the 5 port switch, Further testing is needed. From the computer connected to the same switch as WHS 2011 open a command prompt and type "ping then the IP address of WHS 2011 and press enter, example ping 192.168.1.100 Please post the stats of the test.

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out that the issue was the 8 port switch. After I replaced it and reloaded the WHS Connector. All is working as it should. Even faster now.

Guess I jumped the gun on posting before I tried a replacement switch.

Thanks for your help

It turns out that the issue was the 8 port switch. After I replaced it and reloaded the WHS Connector. All is working as it should. Even faster now.

Guess I jumped the gun on posting before I tried a replacement switch.

Thanks for your help

Glad you got it sorted out.