RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jazzerjay

HP EX485 not connecting

jazzerjay

Need some assistance folks. On Sunday I woke up to seeing a red health light on my little friend here, so of course I went to my PC only to see a green icon for the WHS health. I attempted to open the WHS console and could not connect. I could not access the Shared Folders nor could I RDP into the server. I started out with a basic ping and was surprised that the little bugger was still pingable. I went ahead and moved the network cable to a different port on my 8 port GB Linksys (Cisco)switch and then to the Linsys (Cisco) router all with the same result. I even tried the same exercise with a different network cable. A soft reboot did nothing, so I decided to hard shutdown the server and brought the server back online. That was fine until sometime on Tuesday as the same thing happened again. Unfortunately, hard powering the server off and on did nothing. I searched through forums and support sites and such and found nothing with the exception of a possible corrupt OS drive. The thought of wiping and restoring 2.5 GB of data was not something I was looking forward to.

I finally found the solution of performing a recovery which took some time, but eventually worked. After installing updates and the only two addins I use (BDBB and disk management from Tenacle), we were up and running. I then began to add in the different PCs and laptops my family has and all seemed happy as the shares were still there and I merely needed to recreate the users and reinstall the connectors. Last night everything seemed fine. The last thing I did was set my own personal share to duplicate and headed to bed. 5 hours later...I'm back to the same problem.

Here's my setup as best as I can describe.

EX485

2GB Ram

750GB OS drive with three 1 TB WD Green

Seagate 750GB and an ioSafe 1.5TB attached, both for backups and both disconnected during all of this troubleshooting.

I hard set my IP address as well so it's not a DHCP thing.

Moving forward I think I should recover again, install each patch one by one instead of everything at once. Then start adding computers and laptops waiting an hour or so in between to see if its a machine connector issue (although this one doesn't make much sense to me) or something else.

One last thing about my personal share, I did have an issue on one of my multiple reboots (before the recover) with a folder and files that were giving me permission problems and all under my share. I find it strange that an issue I was trying to fix coincides with the last thing I did before I went to bed last night.

I don't remember when I first started listening to the podcast and lurking through the forums (Mods would know based on my ID creation), but I know this is where I wanted to start asking the questions based on the experts that are here. I even considered looking at an EX490 or starting over from scratch with my frankenbuild 2.0. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

pcdoc

JasserJay,

The fact that you are restoring and it resolves the problems but re-occurs, tells me that I would drive shopping right about now. I would do a restore on a new drive and not on the present drive. It really is begining to look like a hardware failure. If you have an extra drive, you could try that but if it where me I would suggest getting a new drive so you can just leave it in there.

jazzerjay

You're thinking the OS drive is going bad, which makes sense, but I'm not getting any errors on it at all. Or are you thinking that one of the drives that held my data personal user folder is going bad? The reason I ask is because in the years that I've been around, hard drive die, we all know it and I've replaced tons of them at work but this is my first one with WHS - which is why I asked. Also to note, I deleted everything out of my user folder and so far so good. I will keep a close eye on it tonight and post if there are any issues. Thanks a ton pcdoc!

jazzerjay

We've been up for over 24 hours now and no issues. I was considering getting the 1TB WD Black drive to replace the OS drive just in case I need to act quickly over the weekend.

cskenney

The original OS drive in my EX485 died in the first month of using it. I got no warnings but I am pretty sure I had symptoms similar to what you are describing.

jazzerjay

What drive did you use to replace it with? I could go with a 500GB drive on the cheap, but then again I could throw a 2TB one in there which is cool, but then I've got a huge drive for the OS. I was curious if you used a WD green or black or what brand you prefer. I'm just lookin' at options I suppose. Any thoughts?

Ok, last thing, have you had any problems since then with the new drive?

cskenney

I used a 1TB WD Green Drive for my OS. However, there is basically nothing on the pooled partition of this drive because I have 2 other drives in my server. The only time WHS should start putting data on the OS drive (in the data partition) is if you have less than 3 drives in your system and run duplication or if you have no space left on your other storage drives.

That being said, you can get by using a 500GB drive. Regarding brand preference, I have had no problems with the Western Digital drives but it is really all about personal preference and experience. You definitely don't want to use one of the WD EARS drives as an OS drive. If I was going to do it again, I would probably do the same thing I did (1 TB WD Green EADS drive) or I would purchase a 500GB WD Black.

BTW - Any chance the 750GB OS drive in your system is the original Seagate? That is what died in mine and was replaced under warranty. The replacement drive is in use and has had no problems.

jazzerjay

I have three 1TB EADS as well for my data drives and yes the is the original Seagate. I had hopes, I really did that we'd be fine. But this morning I had the grey icon. True to form, ping is fine, no RDP and no access to data. Unfortunately I can't start this for another eight hours due to scheduling issues. I've had the EX485 for a year and a half so I suppose I could try and get a replacement from Seagate. However I need to replace this today. (Who wouldn't, right?) I was thinking along the same lines, thank a ton for your help.

jazzerjay

New 1TB WD EADS drive in as the system drive. All appears well after a rebuild from scratch. The recovery option is fantastic. (I would know after 5 attempts and 3 completions). Since I used the recovery, all back ups and data are safe and sound. I simply had to recreate user accounts and reinstall the connector on every PC/laptop. Thanks for all of the advice. I did pay a premium for the $90 drive, but I wanted to stick with what I knew and not take a chance to mistakenly drop a 15K drive into my WHS. (Ok, that wouldn't happen, but I'm sure you get it)

jazzerjay

Two weeks later and no issues.