RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Homer-S

communication from host to VM

Drashna Jaelre

A virtual switch could be used for VM to VM traffic, not sure about host to VM. I need to spend more time working on Hyper V.

Specifically, you'd need to create an "External Virtual Network" adapter, that is shared with the Host OS. 

The issue is that this causes a hit in performance, IIRC, and can cause compatibility issues (if you install the VPN role on the host .... prepare for hour+ shutdown times of VMs, for instance). And does NOT support wireless adapters.

This is what "Op" wants, but ... it's very recommended against. 

Internal Networks allow you to communicate between host and VMs. However, this is not bound to a network adapter, so you need to either set static IP addresses or configure a DHCP server on this network to hand out IP addresses. 

Private networks are VM only networks. This is great for isolated networks, And if you use Sophos or pfSense with both a private and external network adapter, you can create a VERY isolated network for testing. 

Details here. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816585(v=ws.10).aspx

artiom

My laptop is running Windows 8.1 with Hyper-V role and a bunch of VMs - I am using them every day for work and personal purposes.

I created an "Private" Hyper-V adapter, then bridged everything with external LAN and WiFi adapters (3 adapters in total in one bridge). Why so complex? Because Hyper-V indeed wasn't working properly with WiFi and I prefer to connect via cable to network, but need to use WiFi when cable is not available.

This way, all VMs and the Host are always in the same network and VMs can access the external network as well and I can connect either via RJ45 or WiFi, depending which is available.

Using such setup for more than a year now, I observed only 2 issues:

1. Host gets the IP address via DHCP much slower. It can take ~30 seconds.

2. If I forget to turn off WiFi and connect to the router via both WiFi and cable - it basically freezes. I guess it creates a network loop and I have to either disconnect the cable or disable WiFi. Some crappy routers require reboot.

Apart from that - everything else works perfectly.

@Homer-S, you can try the following:

1. Share the network adapter with VMs and host. Despite it indeed is "not recommended", it is the easiest way and you won't know whether it works for you or not until you try it. It is worth a test, rather than getting nervous with current transfer speeds.

2. Bridge everything together - it is basically the same as previous, but in this case the "sharing" is done by OS and not Hyper-V - it works better for me, especially for twisted setups like mine.

3. Get a switch. Yes, a simple dumb switch. Then connect a cable to the power-lan adapter, one to host ethernet and one to VMs ethernet. Bingo, now you won't have to rely on Hyper-V glitches mentioned in posts above.