RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I have a WHS v1 (but barely used). Should I use it, or move on?

rcurry71

I have an old WHS that I haven't used for years, at least 4.  I never put it back to use after we moved in 2011.  I barely knew how to use it back when I was using it. I really liked the drive extender possibilities, even though I never took advantage of it.

Should I take it out of the box and use it, or should I move on to something else? If I should move on, what would be a good option that has drive extender type of capabilities?

Thanks!

Well, shameless self promotion here, as I work for the company that sells it:

StableBit DrivePool provides Drive Extender like functionality for any Windows system (well, not WHSv1 and XP, but vista and up). So you can go to pretty much any Windows OS and get the functionality (and we have a guide for migrating the data over from Drive Extender). 

That said, you can definitely keep on using WHSv1, but it's not receiving *any* updates (security or otherwise), so if you are using the remote access website, that may be a means for infection or worse. 

That said, if you already have it, WHS2011 is very nice.  Otherwise, it depends on what you really want out of the system.  

And We Got Served has some nice paid ebooks for turning WIndows 10 (or 8.1) into a home server. May be worth checking out.

Thanks.  I watching episode 219 right now.

So, if I turn off (or don't use) the remote access website, I can continue to use my WHSv1 correct?  I may do that, and start looking for a more permanent solution in the next year or so.  

Thanks!

It's a good episode. ;)

And yeah, I'd really recommend turning off the remote access.

Also, if you want the WHS type features, the Windows Server Essentials may be worth looking into. It's not exactly cheap ($300-400) but it has the connector software, dashboard, remote access, backups, and the like. And there is a 6 month eval license for it.