RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LSI raid card not detected on HP ML10v2

monish

The LSI raid controller 8888elp is not detected by the BIOS on booting, The raid card makes long beeping sound on POST. I even tried to boot with onboard HP raid controller disabled. The LSI raid controller works well on my other system with UEFI BIOS.

I am banging my head against the wall to figure this out.... Please help

Yes, I have updated the BIOS and the firmware on the LSI raid card.

have you updated the ML10v2 BIOS and Firmware too?

The 8888elp is a fairly old card that has a 2TB limit on drives.

Because of its age it looks like it is recommended to set UEFI BIOS's to compatibility mode. I have not played with that on the ML10v2. I know some UEFI BIOS on motherboards have compatibility mode.

• 5 months later...

I'm also doing a bit of research on this topic because my new ML10v2 won't recognise a IBM serveraid M5014

Same symptoms, the M5014 does not even appear in the BIOS of ML10v2 no matter which PCIE slot.

The M5014 is working fine, tested in a IBM server.

Looks like a case of extreme hardware lock down by HP trying to force us to use HP RAID cards.

Strange - as I have no problem with a Dell branded H310 card. It was not crossflashed before I got my hands on it, but is now and identifies itself as an LSI card. Still, not sure why these two other cards you guys have don't want to work.

edit: oh and just to clarify, I did the cross flashing in the server - it took half a day to get it sorted finding different files and stuff, and got reverted back to dell stock firmware several times.

Each time the ML10V2 never had a problem with the card.

Edited by vk2fro

I'm also doing a bit of research on this topic because my new ML10v2 won't recognise a IBM serveraid M5014

Same symptoms, the M5014 does not even appear in the BIOS of ML10v2 no matter which PCIE slot.

The M5014 is working fine, tested in a IBM server.

Looks like a case of extreme hardware lock down by HP trying to force us to use HP RAID cards.

Did you disable the B120? Do you have any other cards in the system?

In my rush to test things, I forgot to turn off the B120. I only had the M5014 for one night, then it went back into a friend's server.

There's no other card in the system at that time.

I have since learnt how to live with the B120. The performance issue in ESXi is because of bad HP driver (learn that from another thread in this forum)