RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos Community Webcast Feb 2016 - XG Firewall and UTM 9 Update

pcdoc

Matches what their rep told me a few weeks ago.  Looking forward to all their updates as this is a phenomenal product and the more I use it the more I like it.

itGeeks

Matches what their rep told me a few weeks ago.  Looking forward to all their updates as this is a phenomenal product and the more I use it the more I like it.

Glad your liking it. I am kind of in a love/hate relationship with XG right now just wish it had better support for none Windows OS such as Android devices, Even thought I told you how to get around all the problems with streaming and such I hate the fact that we have to bypass these devices in order to get things like streaming Netflix working. I am looking forward to that big update due out in beta in April, I will deff install it and see whats changed. In the meantime I have some Luma's on pre-order and cant wait to try them out, If Luma works better in a home environment then XG and gives me good Virus/Malware protection then I may shutdown XG in favor of less stress.

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

Understand. I am sticking with it as just works for me. If it ever becomes an issue I will go with something like the circle for the tablets and phones and keep Sophos for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

I'm about to implement Circle now due to a specific need with our children. Am not relying on Sophos UTM to solve it.

itGeeks

I'm about to implement Circle now due to a specific need with our children. Am not relying on Sophos UTM to solve it.

What happend to Luma? It has Circle like features. What happened with your children?? I ordered Luma for this very same reason for my daughter.

Jason

So I ordered a Luma 3-pack last night and applied for the Beta program today. They've not selected participants yet. Fingers crossed.

Nothing catastrophic. Just trying to govern our 6 yr old son's iPad usage. There are worse apps than Minecraft; it actually requires creativity. Also an excuse to try out Disney Circle. Wish there was a way to implement usage limits for apps that don't use Internet as well.

itGeeks

Understand. I am sticking with it as just works for me. If it ever becomes an issue I will go with something like the circle for the tablets and phones and keep Sophos for the rest.

I understand totally what your saying here. For me I think Sophos maybe to good for a home environment or lack of home user support with devices like Android/iOS/Gaming Consoles, Even though I got everything working I am getting worn out every time I turn around the Wife/Kids come running to me saying something is blocked and they cant do something, I feel Luma may have a nice balance or at least I am hopping that will give me a good balance of security and ease of use for home use and not try and block every darn thing known to man kind. Netflix/Gaming consoles need to work out of the box and Luma needs to offer great protection from Viruses/Malware and cover the house with good WiFi and I will be sold. Its been fun trying Sophos/Untangle/PFsence but I am now looking for something easy to use with great protection and something my wife or 23/34 year old kid can manage and use.

pcdoc

Let me know how that works out. I have been known to change gears.

itGeeks

So I ordered a Luma 3-pack last night and applied for the Beta program today. They've not selected participants yet. Fingers crossed.

Nothing catastrophic. Just trying to govern our 6 yr old son's iPad usage. There are worse apps than Minecraft; it actually requires creativity. Also an excuse to try out Disney Circle. Wish there was a way to implement usage limits for apps that don't use Internet as well.

That's awesome, Welcome to the party! Now all we have to do is get 'HSS Dave' to join us in this exciting event :) Dave there is still time to pre-order the 3 pack for 249.99 :rolleyes: Hay you may even get the the beta unit of Luma before Eero shows up https://getluma.com/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand-Exact-Geo-US-GP&utm_term=luma_wifi&gclid=Cj0KEQiArou2BRDcoN_c6NDI3oMBEiQANeix5kgjEf1_OkdSIlP8GMHMBBAAhYp317jAukuRc-t2KnYaAh3Y8P8HAQ

Edited by itGeeks