RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mcgrog

Upgrading processor from the G1610T advice requested...

mcgrog

Hey so ive read a little bit around here having just purchased the base model, and being someone who simply cant resist a good project i want to upgrade it ;)

Planning to use it as an esxi box so processing power and cores will be what im shooting for here and am looking to get a processor with vt-d for direct drive access (cos f virtual disks off(planning for the future here)), that fits the 45w tdp limit i'm willing to go to (living in a cold climate) as my redundant ventures into the hp spare part department for the mythical 65w tdp heatsink have been yet another spectacular waste of time.

This quest for the perfect 45w xeon e3 v2 processor however is, as im sure many of you have come to realize, on the verge of finding that oddly shaped grain of sand on the beach you saw when you were a child, and by my reckoning its time for me to pack up the hunt for the xeon e3 v2's i was after and broaden my search, and so reading up a little about the processors tested here on this forum, ive come to wonder why the i5-3570T or the i7-3770T havent been attempted, when the 1265L has been such a success?

So what im asking here is,

Is there a reason i am missing as to why these particular processors wouldnt be perfect in the gen 8 micro?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65521,65525,65728

if i were a betting man id say the i5 n i7 would be much easier to find not being at the end of their life and all.

Trig0r

I've tried both the i7-3770 and 3770S, neither worked, I wouldnt expect the T to work either tbh

schoondoggy

What is the price difference between the base model MS G8 and the XEON based model?

mcgrog

What is the price difference between the base model MS G8 and the XEON based model?

about $1000 difference, not an option atm, have found one of the i5's for about 250,

I've tried both the i7-3770 and 3770S, neither worked, I wouldnt expect the T to work either tbh

well that makes sense the i7 3770 and the 3770s arent very similar comparing the spec sheets,

think its a shame but i might just have to put up with it if the 70t's wont work, finding the low power xeon's seems to be just chasing the dragon.. :(

schoondoggy

Sorry, I should have asked where you live.

HellDiverUK

The i5 and i7 don't support ECC RAM, which makes HP's BIOS have a brain implosion.  Xeon, Pentium or i3 are your choices.  If you're changing the chip, then just go for the Xeon.

I ran an E3-1240 (the original Sandy Bridge v1 chip) in my Microserver and it worked fine for light loads.  It got a bit hot and bothered when doing Plex transcoding, but otherwise it ran just fine.

tezray

It is annoying to get proper esxi passthrough I need a xeon cpu but I cannot afford to buy one I wanted more grunt so bought a whole pc second hand and took the i3 3240 from it and the 1tb hard drive for £50 chucked the g1610t cpu back in it and a 500gb drive and resold it for £50 so got a nice upgrade for now it is so much faster will get a xeon when I find a cheap enough one so I can passthrough my gpu.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LoneWolf

How many VMs do you plan to run?

The Xeon E3-1220L v2 is a pretty neat chip, supporting VT-x and VT-d, with a very low TDP (I forget, but it's 17 or 22w) and has been less highly sought after.  However, it's only two cores/four threads.

If you aren't running a ton of VMs, I think it's a great solution.  Still not the easiest to find, but it may broaden your search.  It's also a noticeable performance bump from a G1610T.

tezray

I was on the hunt for a e3 1230v2 but I am not bothering with esxi passthrough now I just don't think it will pass the graphics properly and I need bit stream for my surround sound I just wanted to be able to play around with xpenology and Linux and make good use of it but I am now using Hyper-v in Windows 10 trying to setup owncloud vm failing miserably though. I looked at the e3 1220l but wanted 4 cores if I was going to pay a fair bit of money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk