RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is it worth buying a HP N40L System?

Scubbee-Do

Hello All, I am so glad to be part of this group!

I recently built a small NAS system with a Celeron G3250 processor, 16GB of ram and 3-2-TB WD Red Drives.

I have the system running FreeNas 9.2, the reason that I did this was to hold my personal movies collection as well as images and music.

OK, now for the question. I have a chance to pick up a HP N40L that has had some up grades made to it eg. Memory now 8GB.

The reason for looking at this option is due to the fact that it uses EEC memory which my home build does not. The cost of upgrading my new

build to a new EEC supported motherboard and EEC memory is for me rather expensive. I realize that the HP Micro Server is older technology

but I want it only to be a basic file server.

Please give me your thought and what you believe might bet my best options going forward.

Thank you in advance.

Interesting that you are seeking the ECC capability. I have had two microservers, one maybe 3 years and one 4... in that time, I have had a single instance of an un-correctible memory error leading to a reboot. So I know it can happen. without ECC you just won't know it happened.

There's lots to like about the g7 microservers, although the later models seem much easier to work on when putting in extra cards etc. But once it is set up, smooth sailing.

I won't comment on the performance differences between those CPUs, you can research that if it is important. 

Suffice to say, I would buy another g7 in an instant if it was available 'cheap'.

Interesting that you are seeking the ECC capability. I have had two microservers, one maybe 3 years and one 4... in that time, I have had a single instance of an un-correctible memory error leading to a reboot. So I know it can happen. without ECC you just won't know it happened.

There's lots to like about the g7 microservers, although the later models seem much easier to work on when putting in extra cards etc. But once it is set up, smooth sailing.

I won't comment on the performance differences between those CPUs, you can research that if it is important. 

Suffice to say, I would buy another g7 in an instant if it was available 'cheap'.

Yes you are right, it is the age old question is EEC really that necessary on a home system? Just bringing this up on the FreeNas forum causes the dogs to howl.

Once I got looking at the HP Micro Servers I became integrated with the form factor and the supposed quietness of the N40L series. I also understand that they are very low powered units but as a raw file server the processor should work just fine.

As you where so kind to respond to my request for assistance I have another question for you.

Do you believe that I would be better served trying to find a Gen 8 versus purchasing this N40L?

The N40L has be modded to 8GB of EEC memory and comes with a P410 c/w 500MB's of cache and a new battery. I am not sure if I will use the controller if I continue to stay with FreeNas as the recommendation is to use their software RAID provided with in FreeNas.

A minor down side is the 3GB transfer speed versus my drives on my built system running at 6GB's.

Thoughts please!

I can't remember running into a discusson on ECC for quite some time in the forums I haunt.

I don't have experience with the newer servers, someone please chime in.

I will say that unless you are using an SSD or perhaps a 10k spinner you may not detect a significant difference between sata2 and sata3. the heads and platters only move so fast etc.

Cool! I was interested in zfs to avoid rust rot but i settled for a disk scanning utility known on this forum. I am now coming to appreciate my servers that have ecc :)

Hello Again, you are right that a single 7200 RPM hard drive will not saturate SATA 2 however when you run multiple hard drives in a RAID environment this might change?

Anyways for me I use WD Red drives which use WD IntelliPower so even with a RAID envirnment they most likely will not exceed the SATA 2 speed.

It wont change, as each port is SATA II, so each drive gets that throughput. Data in the buffer on the drive will be faster, but that's all.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk