RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Backup Question

If I have the client computer join the domain, what data on the client will the server backup? The programs, data on the domain or the programs, data on the local workgroup or something  else?

Please excuse my noobyness... 

Skip

each client you add has settings of what gets backed up (from the client hardware set). backing up the domain controller is done under 'server backup'.

Thanks Neal,

The reason for asking is that I have been running home-based WHS 2011 for many years and want to make the transition to Win Serv 2012 R2 Essentials and I am a little bit confused about the whole domain vs workgroup thing and trying to decide if I want to make my clients join the domain move all their stuff over to the domain network.

With that said, if I have my clients join the domain, and choose to not move their data, etc. and just work in the local network, would the server backup the clients just like in WHS 2011? Or should I not join the domain at all and stay with the workgroup thing?

Thanks again,

Skip

joining the domain is your choice, for win7 it would 'move' the data but not for win8. the only motivation I would have for moving clients to the domain is if people move between machines a significant amount where that would be useful. a possible second motivation would be if I wanted to cram security settings to the various machines with domain policy features.

Of my three clients that switched from whs2011 to 2012R2, none are on the domain at present. One was on the domain for experimentation but I eventually took it out of the domain. Again, in my opinion, not being in the domain keeps things simple. 

as always YMMV, treat the above as one person's opinion. this is a great forum to get others' as well.

Edited by nrf
Poppapete

If you are used to working with computers on a domain then you just connect each client to the server and they will be joined to a domain.  If not then use "skipdomainjoin" and you will find 2012R2E no different towork with than WHS2011.

Drashna Jaelre

only for ones that are allowed to join domains, I think pro, enterprise, and ultimate.

Pro/Enterprise/ultimate are the only ones that support domain join. 

As for "moving files", this doesn't happen by default. The only thing that "moves" is where the authentication takes place.