RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore failed non-OS HD?

TomP

Further to my previous post (10688), I have confirmed that my data disk (non-OS) is a total failure but I do have WHS2011 backup, so should I either......

1, Restore all the folders from the backup ...or...

2 Do a whole disk restore - if that is possible without doing the OD drive too?

Thanks in advance...TomP

Further to my previous post (10688), I have confirmed that my data disk (non-OS) is a total failure but I do have WHS2011 backup, so should I either......

1, Restore all the folders from the backup ...or...

2 Do a whole disk restore - if that is possible without doing the OD drive too?

Thanks in advance...TomP

I think the wizard lets you specify which disks to restore. But in case it doesn't, I'd just restore the files. 

Thanks Drasha

I just did the file restore and I seem to have everything back as before, except that WHS2011 backup does not seem to want to back up the new drive. Any thoughts why?

Do I have to remove the disk from the backups, then add it back again?

Thanks Drasha

I just did the file restore and I seem to have everything back as before, except that WHS2011 backup does not seem to want to back up the new drive. Any thoughts why?

Do I have to remove the disk from the backups, then add it back again?

It's a different drive, so you'd need to reconfigure the backup to fix that.

Thanks Drashna (Chris?)

When you say 're-configure' do I have to removed that drive from the backup schedule, maybe run a backup without it (?) and then re-add it back again - or is there a cleaner way to do this? and will I still have access to the old pre-crash backup in case things go wrong?

Thanks again...TomP

Thanks Drashna (Chris?)

When you say 're-configure' do I have to removed that drive from the backup schedule, maybe run a backup without it (?) and then re-add it back again - or is there a cleaner way to do this? and will I still have access to the old pre-crash backup in case things go wrong?

Thanks again...TomP

You'd need to reconfigure the backup (the Backup schedule). Remove the old drive from the backup (if it's still showing up) and add the new drive.

The best way to do this is through the main backup console ("wbadmin.msc" or "Windows Server Backups" in Administrative Tools).

Thanks Drashna,

I hadn't realised that both the old disk and the new one both appear (as the same drive letter and name) in backup config, the old one being shown as 'offline' but included in the back schedule, so I just switched that off and enabled the new one and backup seems to be running now

Thanks Drashna,

I hadn't realised that both the old disk and the new one both appear (as the same drive letter and name) in backup config, the old one being shown as 'offline' but included in the back schedule, so I just switched that off and enabled the new one and backup seems to be running now

Yeah, sometimes the backup stuff can be a PITA. :)

And yes, any time you mess with the disks, reconfigure the backup, just in case.