RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Open-Mesh Show & Tell on Home Gadget Geeks#247

itGeeks

I've been in communication with both Ring and Open-Mesh since early March about this.  The latest I heard, from Open-Mesh (on June 20), was that this was a Ring problem:  "The issue appears to be on their end and not ours, so this will be an app update on their end when fixed. We're working on getting them further info."

For the time being, this is requiring me to run an entirely separate second wireless network on different equipment, just for the Ring system.

Moreover, Ring devices are unable to go through the configuration process to join a regular (non-Open-Mesh) wireless network if any Open-Mesh equipment is active and within range of the Ring device.

Since the Ring devices cannot be configured when there is an active Open-Mesh access point in the vicinity, it means that I have to power down my principal wireless network anytime I want to add a Ring device, then add the Ring device to the secondary network, then power the Open Mesh network back up.

I would really prefer that Ring and Open-Mesh worked together, so I wouldn’t have to run a second wireless network just for Ring.

Edited by akahan

• 4 weeks later...

Ring and Open-Mesh appear to have solved their incompatibility.  The fix was a modification to Ring's IOS app.  Version 3.1.7 allows for setup of Ring devices on an Open-Mesh network, no different from any "normal" wireless network.   I was able to easily set up a doorbell, two stick-up cams, and three chimes on my Open-Mesh system in minutes today.

Guys. Thanks for the mention. I'll update my experience.

No issues since the initial config and install of my MR1750. Did have a small issue with my Ecobee 3 dropping off line from time to time. But they resolved that in a firmware update.

Personally, I like the simple Cloudtrax interface and tool. Use it mostly on my phone app. Kinda wish I could see wired traffic too!

Recently I added a powerline WiFi extender for my detached garage. TP-Link model. That has integrated easily and works beautifully for the warm months that I want to stream outside. The MR1750 is in my basement which works fine for the house but too weak in the detached garage to be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ring and Open-Mesh appear to have solved their incompatibility.  The fix was a modification to Ring's IOS app.  Version 3.1.7 allows for setup of Ring devices on an Open-Mesh network, no different from any "normal" wireless network.   I was able to easily set up a doorbell, two stick-up cams, and three chimes on my Open-Mesh system in minutes today.

Thanks for the update, I am glad it all worked out.

Guys. Thanks for the mention. I'll update my experience.

No issues since the initial config and install of my MR1750. Did have a small issue with my Ecobee 3 dropping off line from time to time. But they resolved that in a firmware update.

Personally, I like the simple Cloudtrax interface and tool. Use it mostly on my phone app. Kinda wish I could see wired traffic too!

Recently I added a powerline WiFi extender for my detached garage. TP-Link model. That has integrated easily and works beautifully for the warm months that I want to stream outside. The MR1750 is in my basement which works fine for the house but too weak in the detached garage to be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your welcome and thanks for the update. Just wondering y you decided to use a TP-Link vs adding a second OM AP? I would be surprised if you could of installed the MR1750 on the first floor it would of covered your garage, I had mine installed on the first floor sitting on a table and it covered all three floors of my house including my detached garage. I guess it would depend on your construction and how many feet the garage is from the house, My garage was about 25' away from the house just to give you an idea.

Is this the one you got? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOM140/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=ILRHNW7EZ28CI&psc=1

Edited by itGeeks

Honestly, I used the TP-Link because it had worked well for my brother at his house and I just thought I'd go with it.  I did not even think to check if Open Mesh had a similar powerline to WiFi extender... .do they?   

This is what I used.

TP-LINK AV500 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Powerline Edition Starter Kit w/ 2 LAN Ports, Up to 300Mbps Wireless (TL-WPA4220KIT
$58 bucks and working fine.   I linked to two stations and encrypted between them and then manually set the SSID and password to match my existing internal WiFI SSID from the MR1750.   So far so good.  I could have tried to move the Open Mesh AP upstairs, but I don't have a lot of CAT5 running.  And this way, I can take out the WiFi extender from the garage in the winter when I don't need it.  

See you all Thursday night on HGG!

Honestly, I used the TP-Link because it had worked well for my brother at his house and I just thought I'd go with it.  I did not even think to check if Open Mesh had a similar powerline to WiFi extender... .do they?   

This is what I used.

TP-LINK AV500 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Powerline Edition Starter Kit w/ 2 LAN Ports, Up to 300Mbps Wireless (TL-WPA4220KIT
$58 bucks and working fine.   I linked to two stations and encrypted between them and then manually set the SSID and password to match my existing internal WiFI SSID from the MR1750.   So far so good.  I could have tried to move the Open Mesh AP upstairs, but I don't have a lot of CAT5 running.  And this way, I can take out the WiFi extender from the garage in the winter when I don't need it.  

See you all Thursday night on HGG!

No OM does not offer a powerline to WiFi though that would be great if they did, Maybe shoot them an email and give them the idea. This would be a better option then using wireless mesh in my humble opinion. Well maybe you have a winter project to run CAT5 to the first floor and try OM there I think it would serve you better there then in the basement but only testing will tell. Using the TP-Link was a great idea in the intern. As for HGG I will probably watch the recorded show because I go to bed early rise early. I have been trying for years to watch a live show of HSS nope not happening so my eyes tell me :(

Edited by itGeeks