RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Open-Mesh Show & Tell on Home Gadget Geeks#247

itGeeks

Nathaniel does a great job talking about Open-Mesh with a nice walkthrough of some of the 'CloudTrax' screens.

https://theaverageguy.tv/2016/02/06/home-networking-with-the-netgear-prosafe-switch-and-hands-on-with-open-mesh-wireless-access-point-hgg247/

I would personally like to thank Nathaniel for taking the time to give me some of the credit on the show for his new purchase. I am glad the MR1750 is working out well for you Nathaniel.

CloudTrax is the main thing keeping me away from Open-Mesh right now otherwise I wouldn't even bother with these other mesh router/ap options.

CloudTrax is the main thing keeping me away from Open-Mesh right now otherwise I wouldn't even bother with these other mesh router/ap options.

There is nothing wrong with a cloud hosted controller, If the controller goes down your AP's still work. Open-Mesh is going to be a hard system to beat in both performance & reliability, It just works and works very well. They did say they are working on a software controller for end-users if we choose to host it our self's but no ETA yet.

There is nothing wrong with a cloud hosted controller, If the controller goes down your AP's still work. Open-Mesh is going to be a hard system to beat in both performance & reliability, It just works and works very well. They did say they are working on a software controller for end-users if we choose to host it our self's but no ETA yet.

I'm fine with it being cloud based (though I will admit I'd prefer it to be local); it's actually the interface and limitation in software options/features that I don't like. For example, from what I've seen, you are limited to the two SSIDs they have available. No option for virtual SSIDs or bridging to different VLANs like say Ubiquiti does. And it's kinda ugly too  :D

I'm fine with it being cloud based (though I will admit I'd prefer it to be local); it's actually the interface and limitation in software options/features that I don't like. For example, from what I've seen, you are limited to the two SSIDs they have available. No option for virtual SSIDs or bridging to different VLANs like say Ubiquiti does. And it's kinda ugly too  :D

Open-Mesh now has 4 SSID's, As for virtual SSIDs and VLANS your not going to get that with Luma or Eero either. Your could put Open-Mesh on different VLANS as long as you had cable runs from a managed switch to those APs. Also to note is if you needed or wanted to have any outdoor APs Luma & Eero would not be a good choice also if you need wall/cealing mounting then Open-Mesh wins again. You really should try Open-Mesh I do believe you would be sold as long as you don't need any of the extra stuff that Luma/Eero brings to the table. Open-Mesh is just a fantastic product for WiFi only applications. Yes your going to pay a bit more for Open-Mesh vs Ubiquiti but that's easily justified both in performance/support. You will not need as many AP's as you would with Ubiquiti to get coverage so that's going to be a big cost savings in its self.

Edited by itGeeks

Open-Mesh now has 4 SSID's, As for virtual SSIDs and VLANS your not going to get that with Luma or Eero either. Your could put Open-Mesh on different VLANS as long as you had cable runs from a managed switch to those APs. Also to note is if you needed or wanted to have any outdoor APs Luma & Eero would not be a good choice also if you need wall/cealing mounting then Open-Mesh wins again. You really should try Open-Mesh I do believe you would be sold as long as you don't need any of the extra stuff that Luma/Eero brings to the table. Open-Mesh is just a fantastic product for WiFi only applications. Yes your going to pay a bit more for Open-Mesh vs Ubiquiti but that's easily justified both in performance/support. You will not need as many AP's as you would with Ubiquiti to get coverage so that's going to be a big cost savings in its self.

If they support 4 SSID's now then that makes a huge difference for me and my setup. I was planning on trying them anyway, but that interface is such a turn-off for some reason. Still, I plan to order a couple to compare eero against and see where I end up. 

• 1 month later...

I recently installed Open-Mesh and found it very nice.  My house does not lend itself to good WiFi coverage but the Open-Mesh system so far has worked really well.  The interface on Cloudtrax is a little odd but has some nice information.  I have not checked the speed of the two repeaters I am using with the 1750 access point but I have not gotten any complaints from the rest of the household and they are typically not shy about letting me know when things do not work to their expectations.

The one downside I have found is that it is not compatible with the Ring doorbell.  My wife works out of the house and has come to rely on the Ring doorbell so this is a pretty big road block at this time.  In discussions with Open-Mesh and Ring technical support they are working with each other to solve the problem.

I recently installed Open-Mesh and found it very nice.  My house does not lend itself to good WiFi coverage but the Open-Mesh system so far has worked really well.  The interface on Cloudtrax is a little odd but has some nice information.  I have not checked the speed of the two repeaters I am using with the 1750 access point but I have not gotten any complaints from the rest of the household and they are typically not shy about letting me know when things do not work to their expectations.

The one downside I have found is that it is not compatible with the Ring doorbell.  My wife works out of the house and has come to rely on the Ring doorbell so this is a pretty big road block at this time.  In discussions with Open-Mesh and Ring technical support they are working with each other to solve the problem.

The Open-Mesh MR1750's are great WAP's, I have one and its doing a great job covering the 3 floors in my house plus my property. What is the trouble with the ring doorbell? Open-Mesh is sure to fix it for you as they are great.

Both the Ring and Open-Mesh support was very prompt and courteous, I was happy with both of them.  I was e-mailing both technical support folks and they started e-mailing each other to look into the problem.  No solution yet but it has only be a few days.

The problem is that in setting up the Ring doorbell there is a step where all the WiFi systems are shown on the Ring App to establish a WiFi connection with the doorbell and you need to choose one.  No WiFi networks were visible, completely blank.  I disconnect the Open-Mesh, turn back on the Asus AP and there is my network and my neighbors.  Strange thing.  Ring mentioned that they had heard of issues with Open-Mesh systems.

Anyway I had to revert back to my old network as the Ring doorbell took priority among my constituents....

Both the Ring and Open-Mesh support was very prompt and courteous, I was happy with both of them.  I was e-mailing both technical support folks and they started e-mailing each other to look into the problem.  No solution yet but it has only be a few days.

The problem is that in setting up the Ring doorbell there is a step where all the WiFi systems are shown on the Ring App to establish a WiFi connection with the doorbell and you need to choose one.  No WiFi networks were visible, completely blank.  I disconnect the Open-Mesh, turn back on the Asus AP and there is my network and my neighbors.  Strange thing.  Ring mentioned that they had heard of issues with Open-Mesh systems.

Anyway I had to revert back to my old network as the Ring doorbell took priority among my constituents....

I believe it will get sorted out, If Ring support is anything like Open-Mesh support and the fact that they are both working together to fix this then you should have a resolution soon. Please keep us posted.