RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Networking issues

Trig0r

Theres something screwy with my Gen 8...

Both onboard NIC's, teamed, configured as the switch in Hyper-V, falls off of the LAN, yet the VM's on it can still talk to it and transfer as per normal.

Configure one for the VM's and one for LAN only and it still does it..

Seems to drop off when I am sending large files from the LAN to the server, yet doesn't happen when I transfer from the VM's to the server...

Suggestions

Within the (physical) NIC properties, disable VMQ on both of them. There is a “bug” that can drop the connection to the LAN (I also had it when I did high throughput transfers) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2986895however should be fixed with a later driver version.

The issue is that VMQ was permanently enabled in the Broadcom driver but the higher level parts of the HyperV networking stack was assuming it was disabled. VMQ is only useful for 10G+ ethernet and turning it on for 1G actually makes performance worse in some cases. ESXi had exactly the same problem with these Broadcom NICs until a newer driver fixed it.

Managed to find some actual broadcom drivers, have installed them but not tested it as of yet...

I'll knock off VMQ now though just in case..