RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Corrupted HD cannot run chkdsk, have whs2011 backup

TomP

Connected a Samsung USB phone by USB which auto-loaded a driver that has corrupted a non-OD HD. Try to run chkdsk to fix it, but I get a message saying it cannot run because of loading the Samsung driver and to go back to an earlier restore point, which I did but get the same message.I have Paragon HDM which says the drive MFT is corrupted and could be fixed with chkdsk,so before I do anything drastic, has anybody any advice on....

1. Is there any way to force chkdsk to run?

2. Are there any other programs that could fix this?

3. Can I restore the disk (or maybe just some corrupted folders) from my WHS 2011 backup and how do I do that? and do I have to remove / delete the folders before hand?

Thanks in worried hope...TomP

Update: It looks like only the main folder containing Music is affected as I can access the drive in my homegroup remotely, so can I just delete just this folder and restore it with WHS2011?

When I check with TestDisk, does this mean anything -  it says ...

1 x DiskSecure MB size 1917848077

Bad relative sector

2 x Sys=43 size 1818575915

Bar relative sector

3 x Sys=72 size 10

Space conflict between 1 x DiskSecure MB and 3 x Sys 72

I can't see any 'fix' options in this program so advice on any others would help greatly

Edited by TomP

I hadn't thought of that so I'll try it. Thanks Schoondoggy !!

PS: Quote doesn't seem to work for me so please excuse the separate reply

I hadn't thought of that so I'll try it. Thanks Schoondoggy !!

PS: Quote doesn't seem to work for me so please excuse the separate reply

These forums don't like IE, Try another browser Chrome, Firefox and see if "quotes" work.

Thanks itGeeks, but sadly access to corporate networks often bans the use of other than IE, so I guess I'll have to put up with the limitations.

I am running Chkdsk now successfully and getting a lot of 'File Segment xxxxx is unreadable' messages. It looks like they are about 15% of the disk so some 85% may be recoverable.

Am I better to restore individual folders / files from the backup or restore the complete backup onto a new HD? and what is the procedure for that complete restore?

Thanks in advance...TomP