RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 6 install hangs

julian924s

Hi, hope someone can help with the above please. I've just purchased a Gen8 MS after running an N40L for a year or two without any issues. However when I try to install the custom HP ESXi 6 U1 image it just hangs at "Scanning system ... Gathering additional system information. This may take a few moments.".

Up to this point it seems fine, detects my drives etc. I've had a search around and can't find anything specific to this or seen anything specific either on HP's or VMware's website with regards to installing this, other than what I've actually tried.

Anyone any ideas on this please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi - its the entry level G1610T with 12G RAM. Just happened to have stumbled across ctrl-alt + F12 to get to one of the pseudo terminals. And I keep seeing errors, I'm trying to install to a Kingston V300 120G SSD. The same as was used in my N40L. Several errors are being repeated over and over again as such:

SCSILinuxAbortCommand:2015: The driver failed to call done from its abort

SCSILinuxAbortCommand:1882: Failed, Driver ahci, for vmhba0

and several other lines, I'l try and get a screenshot if that helps.

Thanks.

Thanks rotor that did the trick. I'm actually pretty amazed in that the VM's that were on the SSD from my N40L are still intact and usable. I thought I would have a go at installing ESXi to an SD card on the Gen8 and just adding the SSD to the datastore and that my data would have been lost when I added the SSD to the RAID controller to create the logical volume. But no, it's still all intact. I just simply did a right click on the vmx file and chose add to inventory, boot the VM and everything is good. That has saved me a ton of work I thought I was going to have to do again re-creating VM's.

Thanks again.

One of the best features of virtualisation. And as long as you stick to RAID 0 with a single disk, the SmartArray doesn't do anything funny to the format of the disk, so you can pull the disk out and use it somewhere else, and viceversa, you can bring a disk over, and it will work fine.