RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 from SSD or fast USB 3.0?

Drashna Jaelre

Thank you for the explanation & clearing this up for me.

Edited:

Forgot to mention how much of a PITA setting up user authentication is if you're not using a domain. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• itGeeks

• cocksy

• schoondoggy

Edited:

Forgot to mention how much of a PITA setting up user authentication is if you're not using a domain. 

Thank you for the added info. I am only running 1 VM running Sophos XG so I will stick to Windows 10 Pro. Its all running fine I was just wondering the difference.

Thanks for the help...

Edited by itGeeks
Drashna Jaelre

Thank you for the added info. I am only running 1 VM running Sophos XG so I will stick to Windows 10 Pro. Its all running fine I was just wondering the difference.

Thanks for the help...

Welcome.

I'm running ... well, a VM for x86 and x64 of every OS since Vista (including WHS), and then some others (such as work VM, and OwnCloud VM, a Sophos XG VM, and others)

And I have an Essentials server, so it really makes sense for me to run HyperV Server. :)

Welcome.

I'm running ... well, a VM for x86 and x64 of every OS since Vista (including WHS), and then some others (such as work VM, and OwnCloud VM, a Sophos XG VM, and others)

And I have an Essentials server, so it really makes sense for me to run HyperV Server. :)

WOW that's lots of VMs I can see in your case you need a dedicated HyperV server, Thanks for sharing.

Drashna Jaelre

WOW that's lots of VMs I can see in your case you need a dedicated HyperV server, Thanks for sharing.

Yup, definitely. For work namely. Not all need to be running at any given time, but I definitely do need to have access to them on a regular basis. :)

And that's why I bought a 1U dual xeon x5560 supermicro unit. Loud, but very effective. :)

Edited:

tell me about it! I finally got it set up on my workgroup and can access it with the server manager from my windows 10 pro machine, but it took forever and still have intermittent issues with the hyper-v manager...!

It seems i can open the hyper-v manager from the server manager and it works fine, but if I try to connect to the server from hyper-v manager just opened from the start menu, it doesn't work... any ideas?!!?!

Edited by cocksy
Drashna Jaelre

tell me about it! I finally got it set up on my workgroup and can access it with the server manager from my windows 10 pro machine, but it took forever and still have intermittent issues with the hyper-v manager...!

It seems i can open the hyper-v manager from the server manager and it works fine, but if I try to connect to the server from hyper-v manager just opened from the start menu, it doesn't work... any ideas?!!?!

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote

Try using that. 

Also, this is why I prefer using a domain. It makes this dirt simple. 

Yup, definitely. For work namely. Not all need to be running at any given time, but I definitely do need to have access to them on a regular basis. :)

And that's why I bought a 1U dual xeon x5560 supermicro unit. Loud, but very effective. :)

Tell me about it, I have a 1U single xeon suppermicro unit and the fan stays ramp up @ 50% and yup she is a screamer. Love the suppermicro's though.

Drashna Jaelre

Tell me about it, I have a 1U single xeon suppermicro unit and the fan stays ramp up @ 50% and yup she is a screamer. Love the suppermicro's though.

Yup, and i just got a 36 bay supermicro, and it's even louder than the norco it's replacing. 

And yeah, the build quality on the supermicro cases is leaps and bounds above the Norco. Worth the hassle.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote

Try using that.

Also, this is why I prefer using a domain. It makes this dirt simple.

Yeah - i had seen it and not tried yet so will give it a shot.

I'm just using my server for home use so a domain is a little overkill I think!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk