RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Endless computer

schoondoggy

We'll see what the Endless OS is like.

Ehh. Proprietary Linux distribution with what appears to be a walled garden as apps are only available from their app store. The hardware isn't particularly amazing either.

I expect this to just fizzle out over time like other attempts at similar systems. Some small scale releases will be made and then everybody will forget about it.

Ehh. Proprietary Linux distribution with what appears to be a walled garden as apps are only available from their app store. The hardware isn't particularly amazing either.

I expect this to just fizzle out over time like other attempts at similar systems. Some small scale releases will be made and then everybody will forget about it.

This.

They're ARM CPUs for the lower end ones. So either a custom Linux Distro, or some flavor of Android. 

But man, the form factor, they're adorable. 

So either a custom Linux Distro, or some flavor of Android.

They talk more about Endless OS on the developer page. It is a read only Linux core OS with app bundles temporarily mounted into it. Android uses a similar system where the apps are all completely separate from each other and don't touch the main OS at all.

At the end of the day, you're relying on them packaging up the apps for you to use. I don't know if you'd be able to sideload stuff yourself but considering the unusual nature of the OS, selection is going to be limited anyway.

* We don’t use rpm, apt, or any other packaging system. We use a read-only root file system managed by OSTree with application bundles overlaid on top.

* We have a different target user. Most desktop Linux distributions are oriented towards tech-savvy users and developers.

* Simplicity is the key, so we carefully pick and choose the best applications available for our users.

They talk more about Endless OS on the developer page. It is a read only Linux core OS with app bundles temporarily mounted into it. Android uses a similar system where the apps are all completely separate from each other and don't touch the main OS at all.

At the end of the day, you're relying on them packaging up the apps for you to use. I don't know if you'd be able to sideload stuff yourself but considering the unusual nature of the OS, selection is going to be limited anyway.

So, yeah, it's a highly specialized version of Linux, much like QNAP, Synology, etc use on the NAS devices. 

And may be using something like "docker" for app implementation (or just "apps"). 

And yes, very limited. But considering the use case ... and pricing....

I knew they reminded me of something.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2009/11/review_jbl_crea.html

OMG, they totally do!