RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Ubiquiti UniFi Users?

LoneWolf

I have a UAP-AC-PRO on order myself.  I wanted the standard PoE so I didn't need the injector.

Sadly, they're on backorder everywhere due to demand, but I'm patient.  Should be here week 3-4 of March.  I'll either run the controller software off my primary server OS, or off a HyperV VM running on it.

oj88

Got impressed with the first one so I ordered two more to replace all remaining APs.

As far as testing, 24 connected clients on the lone UAP-AC-LR and it didn't even break a sweat.

• Like 1

DaMenace

After checking on AWS it seems that this is not cost effective for my use. It would be nice to have access to the three Unifi networks I have in service. Any ideas?

LoneWolf

My UAP-AC-PRO has arrived, and replaced my ASUS RT-AC87R as the wireless source on my network.

I'm running the Unifi Controller on my server from a HyperV Gen2 virtual machine with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, taking 20GB of hard drive space, and 4GB of RAM is allocated, though I could probably drop that down with no issues. Band Steering is turned on, set to push clients towards 5GHz.

I currently have the following devices connected:

iPhone 6 - 5GHz AC

iPhone 5c - 5GHz AC

My laptop - 5GHz 3-stream N (Intel 6300N)

Buffalo AC1300 wireless bridge - 5GHz AC, this connects my wife's workstation and our Dell 3100cn color laser to the network via its 4-port gig switch

Emerson Sensi wireless thermostat - 2.4GHz N

Part-time devices:

Google Nexus 6 phone - 5GHz AC

Microsoft Lumia 640 phone - 2.4GHz N

So far, I have had zero issues.  Throughput and coverage is excellent.  It is doubtful I'll need more than one access point for the whole house.  The AP gets PoE from a Netgear GS110TP switch, which plugs into my Cisco SG300-10MPP switch (backbone). For $140 plus shipping, it has been worthwhile for me.