RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Ubiquiti UniFi Users?

RobbieH

I have a Ubiquiti UAP-LR. I've never gone with more than one because I still don't feel it's the perfect AP. The price was right, and it seems to work pretty well, but I hate the app, and the PoE they use is not normal PoE so I could not use my PoE switch to power it. I originally had the controller software installed on my WHS2011 box, but the logs were filling up my C drive. You can't change where these go, at least you could not the last time I looked at it. 

• Like 1

GotNoTime

the PoE they use is not normal PoE so I could not use my PoE switch to power it

The plain UAP and UAP-LR only supported 24V passive PoE. The newer ones such as the UAP Pro are standard 802.3af PoE. Some require 802.3at for extra power.

Ubiquiti did sell a 802.3af PoE adapter to work with their 24V passive PoE UAPs. No idea if they still do. Extra box you need to deal with though.

• Like 1

RobbieH

It came with a power injector, but like you said it's an extra box and piece of equipment I have to deal with. Not very elegant, that's for sure. :)

oj88

This is probably how Ubiquiti is controlling their products' intended market.

I figure that for most home installations, which are still predominantly a non-POE environment, I guess the non-standard power injector shouldn't be a nuisance. I would think that the UAP-AC and UAP-AC-LR are more for the SOHO and residential users where there's only an average of 1-3 deployed APs.

The PRO and EDU will be more suited to an enterprise deployment that can scale to dozens or hundreds of APs, requiring proper, standards-based POE switches for practical reasons.

neoman05

I purchased an AC LR about a week ago.  It's been a huge improvement over my old setup.  I had an  Asus RT-68U (whatever the model is) AC router and a couple of TP-Link APs (connected via ethernet).  It all  worked, but often times my connections were very slow and unstable.  I've  got a 110 Mpbs  internet connection - so that wasn't the  problem.

With just the  one  AC LR AP, things improved a lot.  I can't say the speed is really any better, but the connection is much more solid.  All my traffic over WiFi seems so much snappier.

I plan to add a second AP in the next few weeks.  The single one provides pretty good coverage in a  2800 sq. ft home.  The second will just make things that much better.

I haven't had any issues running the controller software.  I'd say go for it.

• Like 1

oj88

It's finally here. Can't wait to go home and put this into service. :)

srD6QJOh.jpg

oj88

It's been about a week now since I started using it. And boy, was this a good buy! I like to be able to see all wireless clients in a 'single pane of glass'. Block them or adjust their bandwidth if they're being greedy (Android picture backup is notorious). Of course, I will have to change all the remaining APs to Ubiquiti to have unified control.

A0GdqZQh.png

• Like 1

snapper

It's been about a week now since I started using it. And boy, was this a good buy! I like to be able to see all wireless clients in a 'single pane of glass'. Block them or adjust their bandwidth if they're being greedy (Android picture backup is notorious). Of course, I will have to change all the remaining APs to Ubiquiti to have unified control.

The USG router is quite nice as well - its basically an Edgerouter Lite but integrated into the Unifi controller and you can see wired clients.

You will then get all your dashboard lit up green :)

Edited by snapper

DaMenace

I have been looking at the USG Router. Do you know if this can be managed via AWS?