RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thinking of doing a NAS build with XPEnology.

itGeeks

Software only versions of products like Synology are extremely expensive to support. Once you have no control over the hardware, you need a large help-desk staff to support. Even if you require that users run it in a VM, support is still an issue.  

I guess your right but Synology could just say support for this type of setup is public forums only with no email/phone support and they will just keep the software updated as part of the deal and the rest is on the end user. I mean lets face it the people that would go this route are not the average user with no knowledge, We would not be the customer that calls them to say our NAS is not working only to find out the power plug got pulled out. I still think this would be a good move for them. Sell us the software with the understanding we are on our own with only public forums support, I would be fine with that. Heck that's what Sophos does with there UTM/XG software for home use :rolleyes:

Thanks for taking the time

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• itGeeks

• Poppapete

• schoondoggy

Sure:
(Note, Avago Tech bought out LSI a while back, but it's the same thing).

The Amazon link is ~$100 cheaper. So always good to price shop. ;)

But you can find a list of the different configurations here:

Just check the "specs" of the card in question, and it will list the Order Part number, which you can use to quickly find the items for purchase. 

Schoondoggy said it better, but I have a point to add. So see below.

That "no control over the hardware" bit is huge.

As somebody that does software support, it makes a huge difference. It means that if something goes wrong, I have to track down the cause. See if it is related to our software, or it's an underlying hardware issue. 

And if it's a hardware issue, I can't really support it, because it's not something we have control over and it's not what WE sell. And bad hardware will absolutely affect the software.  (in fact, I've had a few customers get pissed and request refunds because the issue was a hardware issue and I couldn't wave a wand and fix it). 

I generally do try to go above and beyond and help them identify the specific piece of hardware and give advice about what to do, but a lot of companies would say "not our problem", and close the ticket.

And that's a HUGE consideration for Synology. And it's one I'm absolutely certain they've thought about. And decided it's not worth the negative publicity for issues that aren't on their hardware.  

And the other issue, is selling a "pro" version for self install has other issues, such as liability, because they're selling the software. 

And support costs money. Even if 90% of it is giving boiler plate responses. 

Thanks a lot for the info and links, The more I look at this the more I think I will go with your recommendation and use the ASRock E3C226D2I Socet 1150. That board looks very nice and I like the fact that all the on-board ports are SATA3 and not a mish mash of SATA2/3 and with the LSI controller that will give me a total of 10 SATA3, Now I just have to figure out what CPU I am going to use for this build and sense I am planing on trying to maximize the potential of this system by running Windows 10 with Plex Media Server and my IP Camera recording software and XPEnology as a VM on this box I am thinking to use a Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz, What do you think? Is there a better option for the CPU?? I do wish this board had either more SATA3 ports or more NIC's because I would need to use the PCIe slot now for the LSI controller so expanding the NIC's for teaming and fail-over support is a no go now.

Thanks a lot for the info and links, The more I look at this the more I think I will go with your recommendation and use the ASRock E3C226D2I Socet 1150. That board looks very nice and I like the fact that all the on-board ports are SATA3 and not a mish mash of SATA2/3 and with the LSI controller that will give me a total of 10 SATA3, Now I just have to figure out what CPU I am going to use for this build and sense I am planing on trying to maximize the potential of this system by running Windows 10 with Plex Media Server and my IP Camera recording software and XPEnology as a VM on this box I am thinking to use a Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz, What do you think? Is there a better option for the CPU?? I do wish this board had either more SATA3 ports or more NIC's because I would need to use the PCIe slot now for the LSI controller so expanding the NIC's for teaming and fail-over support is a no go now.

Well, that board definitely is quite nice. :)

I actually have one, and it works quite well.

The only issue I have with it is S3 sleep mode stuff. But with the right CPU, it runs at less than 45W when idle (even with 4x HDDs), at least, IIRC. 

Thought, that was with a Core i3-4130T (low power CPU). 

Though, definitely check out the supported CPU list. That can give you an idea of what to look for, especially if you want low power usage. And if you'll need to upgrade the firmware to support the CPU.

Also, check the CPU to see if it supports ECC (the Xeon's will), and definitely go with ECC. There isn't a huge price difference as it's unbuffered ECC, but it's worth the reliability/quality.

But if you're going to be running a lot on it, the higher end Xeon's would be a good idea. 

But if you're thinking of the Xeon E3-1230v3,  I'd recommend the 1231 instead, as this CPU doesn't have the onboard Graphics unit (the board uses the ASPEED chipset for graphics).

Also, did you see that the board has 2 Intel NICs and a 3rd NIC for management? 

So you can do the teaming/failover stuff with it still. 

Well, that board definitely is quite nice. :)

I actually have one, and it works quite well.

The only issue I have with it is S3 sleep mode stuff. But with the right CPU, it runs at less than 45W when idle (even with 4x HDDs), at least, IIRC. 

Thought, that was with a Core i3-4130T (low power CPU). 

Though, definitely check out the supported CPU list. That can give you an idea of what to look for, especially if you want low power usage. And if you'll need to upgrade the firmware to support the CPU.

Also, check the CPU to see if it supports ECC (the Xeon's will), and definitely go with ECC. There isn't a huge price difference as it's unbuffered ECC, but it's worth the reliability/quality.

But if you're going to be running a lot on it, the higher end Xeon's would be a good idea. 

But if you're thinking of the Xeon E3-1230v3,  I'd recommend the 1231 instead, as this CPU doesn't have the onboard Graphics unit (the board uses the ASPEED chipset for graphics).

Also, did you see that the board has 2 Intel NICs and a 3rd NIC for management? 

So you can do the teaming/failover stuff with it still. 

Chris thanks again for all the great info. I meant to say the Xeon E3-1231v3 the 1230 was a typo, I will deff go Xeon on this board as I want to run some intensive things like real-time trans-coding with Plex and my NVR software for my IP cameras. Do you think I need something better then the E3-1231v3 and if so what would you use? I am running that CPU in my Supermicro 1U server now and it seems to run good with everything I listed but I don't have XPEnology installed in a VM on that box. As for the NICs I would of liked 4 not including the IPMI, 3 for teaming and one gets used for failover but I guess I can figure something out as I don't think its posible to get everything I want on a mini ITX board.

I meant to say what do you think of the 

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz for my build?

Ah, yeah. Definitely a better choice then. :)

Chris thanks again for all the great info. I meant to say the Xeon E3-1231v3 the 1230 was a typo, I will deff go Xeon on this board as I want to run some intensive things like real-time trans-coding with Plex and my NVR software for my IP cameras. Do you think I need something better then the E3-1231v3 and if so what would you use? I am running that CPU in my Supermicro 1U server now and it seems to run good with everything I listed but I don't have XPEnology installed in a VM on that box. As for the NICs I would of liked 4 not including the IPMI, 3 for teaming and one gets used for failover but I guess I can figure something out as I don't think its posible to get everything I want on a mini ITX board.

Personally, I'd be inclined to go with the "L" models, as these are lower powered.  They should still get the job done, but since this will likely be always on (unless ASRock RACK has fixed some of the S3 mode (sleep) issues with their boards). 

And yeah, there are sacrifices that you make for using mini-ITX. Not just in the terms of expandability, but there is only so much silicon you can fit onto the PCB. 

So yes, sacrifices must be made. 

The alternative, is get a nice 2U rackmount case with 8-12 bays, for a LOT more.

I bet supermicro has a similar board but with 2 pci slots so you can add the extra NIC's. Might cost more though!

You can check, but ALL of their ITX boards are "SoC" boards. Ever last one (I just checked). 

While that's not bad, the other issue: A lot of SuperMicro boards are hard to source for average consumers. 

I bet supermicro has a similar board but with 2 pci slots so you can add the extra NIC's. Might cost more though!

Thanks for the info, I am a big supermicro fan but I have been unable to find a board. If you find one please post a link.

Ah, yeah. Definitely a better choice then. :)

Personally, I'd be inclined to go with the "L" models, as these are lower powered.  They should still get the job done, but since this will likely be always on (unless ASRock RACK has fixed some of the S3 mode (sleep) issues with their boards). 

And yeah, there are sacrifices that you make for using mini-ITX. Not just in the terms of expandability, but there is only so much silicon you can fit onto the PCB. 

So yes, sacrifices must be made. 

The alternative, is get a nice 2U rackmount case with 8-12 bays, for a LOT more.

Thanks for the info. I understand what your saying about going with the "L" version but i am very reluctant to go with it becouse this will be more then just a file server, I need this server to do real-time trans-coding  with Plex and I would also like this server to run my XProtect NVR for all my IP cameras as well as run XPEnology. I think this is a lot of demand on one server and I have a feeling going with a low power CPU in my case will not be a good thing, Please correct me if I am wrong. I am really torn between this board and the ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard , This board seems to pack a lot of punch. It just sucks that it has a mix of Intel/Marvel SATA2/3 controllers unlike this board we are talking about it has 6 SATA3's all Intel. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475

According to everything I been reading about with the ASRock C2750D4I it handles Plex real-time trans-coding multiple streams like a champ, See link below for confirmation-

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/88316/intel-avoton-octa-processor-powerful-enough-to-do-1080p-many-streams