RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What server to get for training of MS Server 2012 & Hyper-V? Help?

Hello all -

I'm looking to purchase a low-cost server to learn and practice at home. The products I'll be running are Hyper-V, Server 2012 R2, Exchange and Active Directory.

The multitude of servers and options has me very confused and I'm not sure what will run Server 2012 and Hyper-V. Will the server at the below link run them? Does anyone have advice on anything that may be more suitable or even less expensive?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9JD9V4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0025ZQ34U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TTG77ZA07E8EGCSVCJB

Poppapete

Server 2012 R2 will work on this machine.  It will need a extra RAM if you are going to have a few Hyper-V's. A cheap way into the server world. The Hardware will be cheaper than the software. Have you thought about a used server?  For that price you could get a used machine that would be far more suitable for what you want. Used Servers are very good value for money.

Thanks!

I would indeed like to have a cheaper used server, but I'm not sure what to get. What RAM would you recommend for Hyper V and Server 2012?

Edited by badspell68
schoondoggy

Hello all -

I'm looking to purchase a low-cost server to learn and practice at home. The products I'll be running are Hyper-V, Server 2012 R2, Exchange and Active Directory.

The multitude of servers and options has me very confused and I'm not sure what will run Server 2012 and Hyper-V. Will the server at the below link run them? Does anyone have advice on anything that may be more suitable or even less expensive?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9JD9V4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0025ZQ34U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TTG77ZA07E8EGCSVCJB

The link is for a HP ML10, it will run all the software you are looking at running. It is limited on disk space, see posts in the forums. The ML10 v2 has more disk space.

$250 for a new XEON based server is a good deal. 8GB of memory will work, 16GB is better, 32GB is best, but if you are just using this to learn you should not need that much. You can generally find evaluation versions of Microsoft OS for free, but they are time limited. Exchange does not come as a evaluation. Do you have access to a MSDN subscription?

Used servers can be a good value, but make sure it can run/support everything you are looking to do. If you want to work with VMware ESXi compatibility guides are fairly stringent in what they support.

• Like 1
schoondoggy

I am most familiar with HP. I would not go any older than the G7 series, HP ML110 G7 is a good server. In the G8 family the ML310e G8 is a good box. 

The ML10 you have listed at the top is a very good deal. 

A ML10v2 would be my first choice.