RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

How do you leave a windows domain for a workgroup?

itGeeks

Does the laptop have a Windows 7 COA sticker on it?

It should but its been sounding to me like he has a Windows 7 disk and if its legit he should have the product key with it. If not then he can try and do an in place upgrade of Windows 10 Y connected to the internet and let it activate first then rip the old drive out and install the new SSD and reinstall Windows 10, Of course this is only possible if his company allowed his user account to install software. If he does not of a COA on the laptop and or the Windows 7 product key then his cheapest option is to have his company Admin remove the laptop from the domain and setup a local account with Admin rights and proceed with the upgrade. Kevin I know you know all this I am just posting for the OP to learn the steps.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

OK, thanks for that

I thought it was just an free upgrade from win 8. I'll see if its compatible with the laptop and so might just do that. (thinkpad T420 lenovo)

thanks

You should be fine, Basicly anything that ran Windows 7, 8, 8.1 will run Windows 10. Here is a check list from Lenovo for upgrading to Windows 10

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht104203

Make sure you update the Bios before you do this upgrade, Here is the page to download the bios/drivers-

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t420?beta=null

Your going to create a bootable disk for the Bios update. The newest bios version is v1.48 released 2-1-2016 so we already know your not current on this so this step is very importent before any OS upgrade

Edited by itGeeks

schoondoggy

It should but its been sounding to me like he has a Windows 7 disk and if its legit he should have the product key with it. If not then he can try and do an in place upgrade of Windows 10 Y connected to the internet and let it activate first then rip the old drive out and install the new SSD and reinstall Windows 10, Of course this is only possible if his company allowed his user account to install software. If he does not of a COA on the laptop and or the Windows 7 product key then his cheapest option is to have his company Admin remove the laptop from the domain and setup a local account with Admin rights and proceed with the upgrade. Kevin I know you know all this I am just posting for the OP to learn the steps.

If the current Windows 7 key is a Enterprise or Volume License key, he cannot upgrade from it. The key would need to be OEM or Retail.

Belarc Advisor will give you a list of license keys that are on the PC.

jmwills

How do I confirm if I have local admin?, and will I not lose my login credentials, programs access and so on, since IT dept pushed out all the software installs

You crossed a boundary there. Why are you trying to circumvent a company asset?

capall

Thanks guys

Well so many pts to follow up on

First it's a discontinued laptop so no problems with work

I decided to just start with a win 7 fresh install on the ssd,and keep the old drive as a back up

However looks like I have one of those damn 'upgrade ' dvds of win 7 which seems to mean that I need to have XP installed before I can upgrade , as it won't accept the product key. However I don't have my xp disks from a previous laptop that I had bought, and I think the win 7 install needs xp service pack 2 to be present for the upgrade to work which is no longer available

Arrrrgh!

schoondoggy

Is the Windows 7 license key from your DVD or the laptop?

You can download a ISO of Windows 7

itGeeks

Thanks guys

Well so many pts to follow up on

First it's a discontinued laptop so no problems with work

I decided to just start with a win 7 fresh install on the ssd,and keep the old drive as a back up

However looks like I have one of those damn 'upgrade ' dvds of win 7 which seems to mean that I need to have XP installed before I can upgrade , as it won't accept the product key. However I don't have my xp disks from a previous laptop that I had bought, and I think the win 7 install needs xp service pack 2 to be present for the upgrade to work which is no longer available

Arrrrgh!

Y cant you just have the company admin remove you from the domain and set you up as a local user admin? That is of course what your trying to do is not legit :unsure: After you do that then you can just do an in place upgrade of Windows 10 let it activate then you have free will to rip the old hard drive out install your new SSD and reinstall Windows 10 without any product key because Windows 10 is already activated on MS servers.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

You crossed a boundary there. Why are you trying to circumvent a company asset?

I am a bit confused myself as some of this he seems to be contradicting himself but that could just be a communication problem and not that he is messing with company assets without permit ion. I do have to wonder though because I have said several times y does he not just have the company admin remove him from the domain and set him up as a local user on the laptop with admin rights and my answer never gets a response nor does the OP take my advice and get it done -_-

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

If the current Windows 7 key is a Enterprise or Volume License key, he cannot upgrade from it. The key would need to be OEM or Retail.

Belarc Advisor will give you a list of license keys that are on the PC.

Good points and something I over looked because I don't deal on that level, I am home & SOHO only.

capall

hey guys,

sorry for the confusion.

Nothing untoward happening here, its just that its an old work laptop that I was allowed to keep, but am no longer at that job, hence can't just go and have it changed over. I've since got a whs2011 and so wanted to get in on a workgroup in order to be able to install the connector.

I bought the SSD to replace the existing drive for both getting a performance bump and just to keep the old drive as a backup to the files I had on it.

So it seems from you, the easiest thing to do is a fresh win 7 install on the ssd, which I tried last night but it wouldn't accept the product key. I bought the Win 7 upgrade DVD a few yrs ago, however I'm beginning to think it needs XP installed. It must have been one of those cheaper versions of Win 7 available as an XP upgrade package. However not sure if I have my old XP discs from a previous personal laptop purchase.

Win 7 license is from the DVD.