capall

How do you leave a windows domain for a workgroup?

itGeeks

thanks for the help guys,

I was able to get my "Win 7 upgrade from XP" DVD to successfully install as a clean install by using the "upgrade option" when installing. Just made sure to uncheck the "activation online" box since that NIC driver didn't exist on the SSD. Once win 7 installed it installed the driver by itself. Now just need to decide if I want to upgrade to win 10....is it really worth it?. I used it briefly but it just seems very busy. Granted it was on a lenovo laptop probably with loads of bloatware, but i suppose its inevitable that I'll use it.

Congrats! Though I am not sure after all the advice we gave you Y you went down this road, Could you please tell me Y on earth you installed Windows 7 over 10? You say you unchecked activate Windows 7 online is it activated now? If not it will time out on you. Windows 7 needs to be activated regardless even if you try now to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Please explain after the countless post you went down this road. As for is Windows 10 worth it? Yes I think so but its personal preference, I could not wait to get off Windows 8 & 8.1. Windows 7 main stream support has already ended but security updates will continue till 2020. Breaking it down Windows 10 is a nice balance between Windows 7 & Windows 8/8.1, and is of course the latest OS. Its been rock solid for me and good performance, No complaints so far but as I already said mileage will vary and everyone feels differently about Windows 10. You can read about the life-cycle of Windows 7 below-

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/workspace/microsoft-reveals-details-retirement-windows-7-148767

I never would of installed Windows 7 at this point unless you have some kind of special need or a legacy app that wont run under Windows 10 and even then I would of installed Windows 10 Pro and created a VM for Windows 7 to run those apps. Not trying to beat you up here but just trying to understand your logic.

Edited by itGeeks

capall

I wasn't able to get admin to change me from domain to workgroup hence just getting an new ssd and I got the plus of a performance boost

And yes I activicated win 7 once it installed.

Granted at some pt in time I'll be in win 10, or its replacement but for now after reading what win 10 brings, possibly only the live tiles is what I see as the reason to upgrade , but feel free to tell me otherwise

Poppapete

I agree with you and I have used such programs that have wreaked havoc on my systems. I can assure you that in my exp no such problem with Iobit 'driver booster' but that's not to say it can't happen its just that I have had very good luck with there software over the years but this company also tries to inject some of there other software that they develop and sell when you install it and also wants to change your search engine to Yahoo and stupid things like that but well respected free programs like Adobe Acrobat Reader does the same horse play so I guess you can't blame them for trying to make money off there free products because they have to eat also. Iobit does allow you to opt-out from such things but you need to read as you install and uncheck anything you don't want. The list is not massive though and they don't try and install a bunch of crap-ware so that's a good thing. Summing it up after you get threw the easy setup of Iobit 'Driver Booster' its smooth sailing, They only download and install WHQS drivers unlike some of the other Driver updater programs, It will also create a system restore point for you so if something goes wrong your protected. Iobit also has another great free programe called 'Smart Defrag' that I have been using for years in place of Windows limited defrag, Its even trim aware so it supports SSD's http://www.iobit.com/en/iobitsmartdefrag.php Again if you decide to try it just make sure you uncheck anything you don't want installed or changed.

As for how often I run 'Driver Booster' It depends but I try and run it at least 2-4 times a year or when someone is complain that they have a problem with there computer and I need to run maintenance on it and that includes a virus/malware scan.

So I ran it on my desktop and it loaded 7 new drivers. 1 for the intel chipset. 3 for USB Controllers and 3 for IDE controllers (which I don't use). Impressed that it creates a restore point before the install saving me the trouble.  Thank you for the link.

itGeeks

So I ran it on my desktop and it loaded 7 new drivers. 1 for the intel chipset. 3 for USB Controllers and 3 for IDE controllers (which I don't use). Impressed that it creates a restore point before the install saving me the trouble.  Thank you for the link.

You are very welcome, I am glad you are impressed with the program. In many ways I am like forum user pcdoc, it takes a lot to impress me and only after major testing will i recommend something in public. I been using some of iobit software for many years and never had a problem with it. Glad I could help....

I wasn't able to get admin to change me from domain to workgroup hence just getting an new ssd and I got the plus of a performance boost

And yes I activicated win 7 once it installed.

Granted at some pt in time I'll be in win 10, or its replacement but for now after reading what win 10 brings, possibly only the live tiles is what I see as the reason to upgrade , but feel free to tell me otherwise

Y wouldn't the admin change you from domain to workgroup if the company gave you the laptop? I am sorry but this is all smelling very fishy to me. I have a security background and have dealt with stuff like this in the past and I don't feel comfortable at this point. With the help of this community you have got further then I feel you should of. I don't mind helping users with problems providing they own the computer/server but I am feeling that is not the case here. Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by itGeeks

capall

You are very welcome, I am glad you are impressed with the program. In many ways I am like forum user pcdoc, it takes a lot to impress me and only after major testing will i recommend something in public. I been using some of iobit software for many years and never had a problem with it. Glad I could help....

Y wouldn't the admin change you from domain to workgroup if the company gave you the laptop? I am sorry but this is all smelling very fishy to me. I have a security background and have dealt with stuff like this in the past and I don't feel comfortable at this point. With the help of this community you have got further then I feel you should of. I don't mind helping users with problems providing they own the computer/server but I am feeling that is not the case here. Correct me if I am wrong.

Itgeeks, yes you are wrong, and I take a slight offense to your tone here.

Firstly, I am extremely appreciative of all the help I get from this forum and my experience both from personal Q&A and reading other users posts has been that members in this forum are extremely helpful, especially when members are starting out with a problem they know little about.

That being said,

I said in an earlier post that I was allowed to keep the laptop from a previous employer.  Therefore I am 1. allowed to have it and 2. not in a position to have them change it to a workgroup, as I am no longer there.

I also didn't have software install rights so I was unable to do an in-place upgrade to win 10.

Thus, the only other solution offered was a fresh install of win 7. I have a legit copy of it, however it was an 'upgrade' version which required XP to be installed. However, I managed to get it installed without firstly installing my legit copy of XP.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this topic, I found this post

http://www.activepractice.com/1234tips/converting-from-a-windows-domain-to-a-windows-workgroup.html

However, in light of the cheap prices of SSD's, the performance boost over a sata drive, and the fact that following the above instructions may or may not work, I just decided to get the ssd (which i did ask about in my very first post, so I haven't digressed from the topic started)

Thanks all for your help,

capall

itGeeks

Itgeeks, yes you are wrong, and I take a slight offense to your tone here.

Firstly, I am extremely appreciative of all the help I get from this forum and my experience both from personal Q&A and reading other users posts has been that members in this forum are extremely helpful, especially when members are starting out with a problem they know little about.

That being said,

I said in an earlier post that I was allowed to keep the laptop from a previous employer.  Therefore I am 1. allowed to have it and 2. not in a position to have them change it to a workgroup, as I am no longer there.

I also didn't have software install rights so I was unable to do an in-place upgrade to win 10.

Thus, the only other solution offered was a fresh install of win 7. I have a legit copy of it, however it was an 'upgrade' version which required XP to be installed. However, I managed to get it installed without firstly installing my legit copy of XP.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this topic, I found this post

http://www.activepractice.com/1234tips/converting-from-a-windows-domain-to-a-windows-workgroup.html

However, in light of the cheap prices of SSD's, the performance boost over a sata drive, and the fact that following the above instructions may or may not work, I just decided to get the ssd (which i did ask about in my very first post, so I haven't digressed from the topic started)

Thanks all for your help,

capall

I am deeply sorry if I missed judged what was going on here. I am glad your getting things sorted out. And yes this is a great community with diversified knowledge to help each other out in most cases in a pleasant way.

Have a good day!

capall

Thanks for the apology itGeeks, no worries,

Hope to chat again in the near future,

And thanks again to everyone to helps out in the forum,

Derek

capall

guys,

if I decided to upgrade to win 10 from win 7, and I wanted to create a backup so that if I had an issue with win 10 and wanted to return to my win 7 install, should I use whs2011 to create a backup for a bare metal restore, have whs2011 create a win 7 image, or use win 7 itself to create a restore point,  Keeping in mind I have no programs yet installed or data currently on the laptop with win 7.

thanks

jmwills

You can use the built-in Restore Function in the OS, or at least I think you can.

itGeeks

guys,

if I decided to upgrade to win 10 from win 7, and I wanted to create a backup so that if I had an issue with win 10 and wanted to return to my win 7 install, should I use whs2011 to create a backup for a bare metal restore, have whs2011 create a win 7 image, or use win 7 itself to create a restore point,  Keeping in mind I have no programs yet installed or data currently on the laptop with win 7.

thanks

I would not trust the backups created with whs2011/wse2012 I would instead download 'Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE' to do your bare-metal backup and use a share on the whs2011 as the backup target. Veeam is very reliable and its free, whs2011/wse2012 not so much, I have had way to many restores not work for one reason or another. https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

As jmwills said you should also be able to use the OS restore function to get back to Windows 7 as long as you don't delete the old files threw 'disk cleanup'

Edited by itGeeks