RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

How do you leave a windows domain for a workgroup?

capall

Thanks, yes just found that link, and will try it tonight

thanks

itGeeks

hey guys,

sorry for the confusion.

Nothing untoward happening here, its just that its an old work laptop that I was allowed to keep, but am no longer at that job, hence can't just go and have it changed over. I've since got a whs2011 and so wanted to get in on a workgroup in order to be able to install the connector.

I bought the SSD to replace the existing drive for both getting a performance bump and just to keep the old drive as a backup to the files I had on it.

So it seems from you, the easiest thing to do is a fresh win 7 install on the ssd, which I tried last night but it wouldn't accept the product key. I bought the Win 7 upgrade DVD a few yrs ago, however I'm beginning to think it needs XP installed. It must have been one of those cheaper versions of Win 7 available as an XP upgrade package. However not sure if I have my old XP discs from a previous personal laptop purchase.

Win 7 license is from the DVD.

Thanks for clearing that up. No I am not saying install Windows 7 at all I am saying try to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 on the old drive and allow it to activate then after it activates you can change the drive out and do a fresh install of Windows 10 without a product key because Windows 10 will already be activated. All of this is providing your user account will allow you to upgrade Windows and that the current Windows 7 key is not a Enterprise or Volume License key. You will need to have internet access the whole time you try and upgrade to Windows 10.

capall

no worries,

Thats a good plan for the win 10 upgrade, however, I just looked at the link posted above for the lenovo supported devices for win 10 and the thinkpad T420 is not listed. (T430, yes, but no T420). Guess i'm stuck with Win 7 then.

Poppapete

Windows 10 should run fine on a T420.  It is not listed because Lenovo aren't going to supply W10 drivers but you can get them from the OEM's

capall

Strange though that it would list lots of other thinkpads, starting art the T430

itGeeks

Windows 10 should run fine on a T420.  It is not listed because Lenovo aren't going to supply W10 drivers but you can get them from the OEM's

You took the words right out of my mouth :) Just update the firmware on the laptop first then try the in-place upgrade and see if it works, You need to be connected to the internet when you do this from the link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After Windows 10 activates then you are at free will to install your shiny new SSD install a fresh copy of Windows 10, No product key needed because the laptop is already activated so when you get the prompt for the product key when doing your fresh install don't enter anything it will just reactivate. After you do the fresh install on the SSD just grab the chipset drivers from the Lanovo downloads page and install them and then to make your life easier you can run my favorite programs called 'Driver Booster' from iObit and it will scan for all the current WHQL drivers for your system and install them, The program even creates a restore point for you before it installs all the drivers it finds. I been using it for years and its a real time saver. The only warning is make sure you unchecked any additional programs it want to try and install, I hate it when company do this but hey they got to eat to. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Good luck! and let us know how you made out...

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

itGeeks,

"my favorite programs called 'Driver Booster' from iObit and it will scan for all the current WHQL drivers for your system and install them, The program even creates a restore point for you before it installs all the drivers it finds. I been using it for years and its a real time saver. The only warning is make sure you unchecked any additional programs it want to try and install, I hate it when company do this but hey they got to eat to. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php"

I have always been very wary of these "driver" programs. They always seems to install extra crapware and do I trust their choice of new driver!!!

However if you have used it for a few years then I will give it a try. How often do you run it?

itGeeks

itGeeks,

"my favorite programs called 'Driver Booster' from iObit and it will scan for all the current WHQL drivers for your system and install them, The program even creates a restore point for you before it installs all the drivers it finds. I been using it for years and its a real time saver. The only warning is make sure you unchecked any additional programs it want to try and install, I hate it when company do this but hey they got to eat to. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php"

I have always been very wary of these "driver" programs. They always seems to install extra crapware and do I trust their choice of new driver!!!

However if you have used it for a few years then I will give it a try. How often do you run it?

I agree with you and I have used such programs that have wreaked havoc on my systems. I can assure you that in my exp no such problem with Iobit 'driver booster' but that's not to say it can't happen its just that I have had very good luck with there software over the years but this company also tries to inject some of there other software that they develop and sell when you install it and also wants to change your search engine to Yahoo and stupid things like that but well respected free programs like Adobe Acrobat Reader does the same horse play so I guess you can't blame them for trying to make money off there free products because they have to eat also. Iobit does allow you to opt-out from such things but you need to read as you install and uncheck anything you don't want. The list is not massive though and they don't try and install a bunch of crap-ware so that's a good thing. Summing it up after you get threw the easy setup of Iobit 'Driver Booster' its smooth sailing, They only download and install WHQS drivers unlike some of the other Driver updater programs, It will also create a system restore point for you so if something goes wrong your protected. Iobit also has another great free programe called 'Smart Defrag' that I have been using for years in place of Windows limited defrag, Its even trim aware so it supports SSD's http://www.iobit.com/en/iobitsmartdefrag.php Again if you decide to try it just make sure you uncheck anything you don't want installed or changed.

As for how often I run 'Driver Booster' It depends but I try and run it at least 2-4 times a year or when someone is complain that they have a problem with there computer and I need to run maintenance on it and that includes a virus/malware scan.

Edited by itGeeks

capall

thanks for the help guys,

I was able to get my "Win 7 upgrade from XP" DVD to successfully install as a clean install by using the "upgrade option" when installing. Just made sure to uncheck the "activation online" box since that NIC driver didn't exist on the SSD. Once win 7 installed it installed the driver by itself. Now just need to decide if I want to upgrade to win 10....is it really worth it?. I used it briefly but it just seems very busy. Granted it was on a lenovo laptop probably with loads of bloatware, but i suppose its inevitable that I'll use it.