RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
capall

How do you leave a windows domain for a workgroup?

capall

Hi all,

I have a laptop that was once part of a windows domain (at work). I'd like to leave the domain and just use local login (workgroup). Is there a reliable and easy way to do it or should I either "repair/reinstall" windows 7 or just buy a new drive and install fresh win7 on it.

thaks

derek

schoondoggy

Not really answering your question, but anytime I re-purpose a computer I do a fresh install just to get a clean system. 

capall

fair enough, good point.

I suppose in terms of drivers, I just go to the PC makers website (lenovo in this case) and download them from there.

I just bought a 250GB SSD with the intention of a clean install, but just thought I'd check with you all before going that route,

jmwills

Just choose the Workgroup radio button to leave a domain.  Just be sure you have a local admin account on the box before doing this.

• Like 1

capall

How do I confirm if I have local admin?, and will I not lose my login credentials, programs access and so on, since IT dept pushed out all the software installs

itGeeks

Hi all,

I have a laptop that was once part of a windows domain (at work). I'd like to leave the domain and just use local login (workgroup). Is there a reliable and easy way to do it or should I either "repair/reinstall" windows 7 or just buy a new drive and install fresh win7 on it.

thaks

derek

You will need to have admin rights then its real easy, Get an admin at your job to leave the domain for you if you don't have admin rights. Or as schoon says just do a wipe & reload to get a fresh start and that's probably not a bad idea anyway.

capall

ok, thanks guys,

I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250G SSD which will be a nice upgrade so maybe just replace the old drive and do a clean install then on the SSD..

I have two way of doing this, which do you think is best.

1. Just do a fresh win 7 install, and follow it with system drivers

2. Use the cloning software that came with the SSD to clone the current drive to it, then install the SSD in place of the old drive. Then, use win 7 to do a "repair" or re-install" on the SSD, There's no data on the old drive that I need),  Or is this just the same as Option 1 anyway?

thanks

itGeeks

ok, thanks guys,

I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250G SSD which will be a nice upgrade so maybe just replace the old drive and do a clean install then on the SSD..

I have two way of doing this, which do you think is best.

1. Just do a fresh win 7 install, and follow it with system drivers

2. Use the cloning software that came with the SSD to clone the current drive to it, then install the SSD in place of the old drive. Then, use win 7 to do a "repair" or re-install" on the SSD, There's no data on the old drive that I need),  Or is this just the same as Option 1 anyway?

thanks

Just do a fresh install, Cloning will put everything back the way you have it now then you still have to deal with leaving the domain. Y are you installing Windows 7 and not Windows 10? Its a free upgrade for anyone with a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 key.

capall

OK, thanks for that

I thought it was just an free upgrade from win 8. I'll see if its compatible with the laptop and so might just do that. (thinkpad T420 lenovo)

thanks

schoondoggy

Does the laptop have a Windows 7 COA sticker on it?