RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

i3-3240 Upgrade - My Experience

odrakir

Hi guys, I've been lurking for some time now, but I visit this forum almost every day. I bought a Gen8 last year (Celeron) and now I decided to upgrade the CPU to an E3-i3240.

I was a bit afraid of the heatsync not being able to cope with the new CPU, but I found out that it actually works preety well. I've applyed Artic Silver 5 and the higher temp I got was 53ºC while transcoding in Plex.

The Thermal settings on the BIOS are set to Optimal and the fan is running at 6%. I had it at 24%, the noise wasn't much of a bother, but then I tested the lower settings and I think it's working fine.

Let me know your opinions :)

Cheers!

i3.PNG

Edited by odrakir
  • Like 1

Nice, i am upgrading to the same processor and its nice to know the standard passive heat sink can handle the 55W TDP of the i3-3240, i have the OEM xeon heat sink coming in from HP just to keep it extra cool. Did you notice much of a preference difference when you initially upgraded?

Also did you have any issues with the memory as on ark is says that the i3-3240 does not support ECC memory  

First of all, I'm sorry, I just realized that I misspelled the CPU name in my first post :( (can a mod correct it please? thx)

The CPU is a i3-3240. I noticed a lot of difference from the Celeron which is normal since the clock speed is higher an it has more threads.

From what I read, the i3-3240 was listed at Intel's ARK as having ECC support, but they removed it in some kind of site update. I'm using ECC RAM and it's working flawlessly.

There's a new heat sink on the i3-3240 Gen8 models, but so far ppl seem to be having a hard time buying it online. I've been playing arround with the BIOS settings and right now the best configuration I tested was Optimal Cooling + OS Control.

Cheers!

ECC.PNG

• Like 1

Great! cant wait to install it!

i bught two of the new OEM heat sinks for the Xeon/i3 model from HP in australia, i have one spare if needed.

When you say Optimal Cooling + OS control, does that mean you can control the fan speed via the OS? (Stupid Question) i only see Optimal in my bio settings

No, from what I can tell, OS control (power settings) only let's the OS set the CPU frequency as demanded by the running processes, saving some power when idle (instead of using HP's power settings). Optimal cooling sets the fan in the lower setting... I'm yet to see the fan speed up when the CPU is on 99%.

• Like 1

Wow, your temps are very low, what is the ambient room temp?

i just intalled this CPU, and installed the HP OEM 65W heatsink and my idel temps are around 35 - 37C and spikes to 54c during normal use and settles back down to around 41c, but the room is around 28c - 30c since i live in australia the fan setting is set to the middle option with the fan at about 50%, the heatsink came with pre applied thermal paste on the heatsink that i used, i may look at using arctic silver 

forgot to mention mine is the i3-3240T not too sure of the difference... but mine is a 55w TDP and the normal one is 35W

I live in Portugal and right now it's winter over here. I might have to adjust fan speeds in the summer. Ambient temperature in my office is between 19º - 23º C depending on the time of the day.

Edited by odrakir

I live in Portugal and right now it's winter over here. I might have to adjust fan speeds in the summer. Ambient temperature in my office is between 19º - 23º C depending on the time of the day.

Your office must get colder than that since the inlet temperature reading in your screenshot shows 8C?

I found that to be very odd, because my office doesn't reach below 18º ~ 19º (perhaps 16º ~ 15º during the night).

Maybe the CPUID HW Monitor has some problem with the sensor.