RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seagate Class Action Lawsuit

Drashna Jaelre

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/storage/seagate_hit_with_class_action_lawsuit_for_high_failure_rates/1

The biggest issue I have with this, is that the plaintiff is heavily depending on BackBlaze statistics to backup their claims. Figures that not only are statistically insignificant, but absolutely biased based on the drive sourcing, handling and usage.

While, it's possible that the lawsuit may go somewhere, it's much more likely that it will be thrown out because of this. 

It may get far enough that Seagate has to disclose their own return/defective drive data to demonstrate that the failure rate in general is no different then other drives. Of course, maybe that data also demonstrates a higher failure rate too.

It's also not surprising that anyone would use the Backblaze data. Where else has anyone aggregated failure rate besides Seagate?

• Like 1

Maybe. But just because BackBlaze is the only source disclosing failure rates doesn't make it a good or reliable source. 

If you have time read the complaint, a long, but humorous read:

https://www.hbsslaw.com/uploads/case_downloads/seagate/01-01-16_class_action_complaint_seagate.pdf

They are referencing NewEgg and Amazon reviews as evidence.

The BackBlaze data will probably get thrown out as they used desktop drives for commercial application, voiding the warranty.

They are claiming false advertising, unfair competition, breach of warranty, unjust enrichment and deceptive trade practices.

In the damages they are looking for money to cover data loss. Read the warrant, data loss is not covered.

Regardless of the outcome this lawsuit will only benefit the lawyers.

Okay, well, I did only skim until I saw the backblaze stuff. Ugh.

But we'll see how this progresses either way. Shall be interesting regardless.

I would say that the evidence against Seagate is weak at best and very subjective. However, NOT that I am siding with BackBlaze, my personal experience with Seagate has been dreadful and I can see where the litigation is coming from.

What irks me is how their drives fail. In the past few years, two Seagate drives died on me without any signs of impending failure. Both drives lived at different times and installed on two different machines (not 24x7) and both drives were working up to the point the PC was properly shutdown. On power up however, the drives failed to become accessible and just gives off clicking noises. These are 1TB and 2TB drives, the only Seagates I have in the TB capacity.

I also have a few failed WD drives, but if there's anything good about them is that they fail rather slowly and predictably, giving me ample time to move my files out. I've only had failure on their Green drives which I wrongfully deployed in a 24x7 system (WHS). I've yet to have a failed Red drive. The older WD Red drives I have are already clocking 1,130+ days (3 years old @ 24x7). That makes me somewhat of a WD Red fan.

As for failures, All of the seagates I've had fail, they tend to develop uncorrectable/pending sectors, and start to fail surface scans in StableBit Scanner.  The number of uncorrectable sectors increases, and eventually the drive fails catastrophically (doesn't show up in the system, causes the system to become unstable, etc).

As for the WDs, half the time, they just suddenly fail. No warning, nothing. And they cause the system to become unstable.

And sometimes, there is some warning (weird issues, and lots of LBA retries). In fact, I think my server backup drive is starting to go, as it's causing exactly this (it's a WD Green, and since it only gets used for a bit, once a day....)

The Seagates I've had that have failed are all the ST3000DM001 drives (or ST4000DM000). The Archive and NAS drives I have from seagate have been rock solid (minus one DOA, but it was literally my first DOA drive EVER and I was both excited and disappointed). 

^ Wow, we have exactly the opposite experiences on these drives.

Yup.

And I still buy both Seagate and WD drives. Without hesitation. Though, I avoid WD greens and blues and the seagate desktop drives. 

Which is why it irks me when people have one or two bad experiences with a drive, and swear off the brand (i've seen it waaay too often).