RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to servers, dell m610

Vampirate

Hey,

I was given the opportunity to grab a very, very cheap Dell m610 and a m600 server. I was planning to play around with it but I have no idea where to start. Im a bit confused and seeking some help. Do I need the Dell m1000e chassis for these to work?

I was given the opportunity to grab a very, very cheap Dell m610 and a m600 server. I was planning to play around with it but I have no idea where to start. Im a bit confused and seeking some help. Do I need the Dell m1000e chassis for these to work?

Yes. They're blade servers and need the blade enclosure to work. The connectors on the back of blade servers are proprietory and contain all of the necessary connections from network, expansion slots, management, diagnostics to power. You need the Dell m1000e blade enclosure for it to be anything other than a big paperweight or spare part.

Yes. They're blade servers and need the blade enclosure to work. The connectors on the back of blade servers are proprietory and contain all of the necessary connections from network, expansion slots, management, diagnostics to power. You need the Dell m1000e blade enclosure for it to be anything other than a big paperweight or spare part.

So I would have to pretty much throw them in the garbage?

Anyway I can use them for something?

So I would have to pretty much throw them in the garbage?

Sell them on eBay and put the money towards something else.

Anyway I can use them for something?

Not really. You really do need the blade enclosure for them to work. The blade isn't a standalone server like a regular rackmount or tower server. They've combined some of the parts and shared it across all the blades along with adding a switch fabric to route I/O.