RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Copy.com ending service May 1, 2016

schoondoggy

Yup, another one bites the dust.

Sorry to see yet another cloud provider go belly up, literally or figuratively (OneDrive, DrivePop). 

And people wonder why I have a many TB file server...

Showing me more and more to make redundant local backups. My pictures are most important to me so they are backed up to OneDrive, Flickr, CrashPlan, QNAP NAS, WHS 2011, External drive, Amazon, Google Photos and soon my new Lyve Home storage device. 

• Like 2

Yup, another one bites the dust.

Sorry to see yet another cloud provider go belly up, literally or figuratively (OneDrive, DrivePop). 

And people wonder why I have a many TB file server...

Yup, I am with you. I love the fact that I am my own local/cloud storage provider with many backups onsite & offsite to family members houses & CrashPlan.

Showing me more and more to make redundant local backups. My pictures are most important to me so they are backed up to OneDrive, Flickr, CrashPlan, QNAP NAS, WHS 2011, External drive, Amazon, Google Photos and soon my new Lyve Home storage device. 

How is the Lyve Home device working for you? What options do we have for getting the pictures on the device?

Yup, I am with you. I love the fact that I am my own local/cloud storage provider with many backups onsite & offsite to family members houses & CrashPlan.

How is the Lyve Home device working for you? What options do we have for getting the pictures on the device?

The device includes a transfer and organization software for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and the Amazon app store. It has a Modern UI look which helps you view and transfer the photos.

I wanted to mount it as a network drive and back up the photos via CrashPlan. Apparently you cannot do this. It does appear you can use another Lyve drive or a Seagate approved drive

to connect via USB and backup to that device. A pretty big shortcoming in my book. I would never backup all photos to this device and then delete from the original device. I e-mailed

them days ago about the ability to mount the drive and I have yet to hear from them. I would guess they started the product and then were acquired by Seagate. Maybe they are dying 

on the vine if you will?

For $99 I'm okay with it, but for $299 I doubt I could recommend this product. 

I just wish that OwnCloud didn't completely pull Windows support, and I wish there was a good alternative to it.

I've looked, and everything I've found is overly complicated and does waaay more than I need (Pydio), is crap and doesn't even do what I want (Seafile, for instance), or is a paid solution (and quite expensive). 

The device includes a transfer and organization software for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and the Amazon app store. It has a Modern UI look which helps you view and transfer the photos.

I wanted to mount it as a network drive and back up the photos via CrashPlan. Apparently you cannot do this. It does appear you can use another Lyve drive or a Seagate approved drive

to connect via USB and backup to that device. A pretty big shortcoming in my book. I would never backup all photos to this device and then delete from the original device. I e-mailed

them days ago about the ability to mount the drive and I have yet to hear from them. I would guess they started the product and then were acquired by Seagate. Maybe they are dying 

on the vine if you will?

For $99 I'm okay with it, but for $299 I doubt I could recommend this product. 

Thanks for the info. Lots of these products seem to come so close to perfect but then lack something like this. My family and I own several digital picture frames by a company called NixPlay, The frames are great and also have a very active development/support group, New features are getting added all the time and it even supports a VISA mount for wall hanging this all seems perfect at first sight but you no what? It lacks DLNA support so you must upload or email all your pictures to the cloud service for them to display. This is a big fail for them and we the customer have been pushing for this support but nothing yet. NixPlay says DLNA support is on there list of features to look at bla bla bla that was over a year ago with nothing new added and I know y, Because they don't want to take away sales from there storage business. What these company fail to understand is if they don't meet the customer demand then they loose 100% of the sale and not just a piece of it, If they supported DLNA only some would use it and others would use there online storage and others would use a combination of both but at the end of the day they sold another picture frame. Wake up NixPlay. https://www.nixplay.com/

Edited by itGeeks