RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Where to get a Copy of WHS2011

Dragon_Void

As I'm in the process of setting up another home server, I'm looking at getting a copy of Windows Home Server 2011. First thing is first, I'm a windows server administrator, so I know my way around Active directory and the like. But as this is just a home server, a full install of Server 2008 R2 or 2012 R2 will be a little extreme.

So here is my question, where can I get a legit copy of Windows Home Server 2011, or a cheaper version of Server 2012 R2 essentials? Unfortunately server 2012 R2 standard will be overkill for my needs.

At this point, E-Bay may be your only solution.  You could run the eval version of 2012R2 Essential for 6 months as a stop gap and use the "No-Join Domain" workaround.

• Like 1

At this point, E-Bay may be your only solution. You could run the eval version of 2012R2 Essential for 6 months as a stop gap and use the "No-Join Domain" workaround.

The essentials solution is a good idea, I'm just a little worried about the lisence cost at this stage.

The essentials solution is a good idea, I'm just a little worried about the lisence cost at this stage.

It is expensive and meant for business.  I skipped 2012 and will be migrating to 2016 most likely when it comes out, however that's not to say I won't stick with 2011.  It's still running strong and the Essentials products can't do anything for me that 2011 isn't already doing.

It is expensive and meant for business.  I skipped 2012 and will be migrating to 2016 most likely when it comes out, however that's not to say I won't stick with 2011.  It's still running strong and the Essentials products can't do anything for me that 2011 isn't already doing.

You mean aside from configuring Windows Deployment services for Client Restore (2012R2 specifically), so you can boot clients off of the network, without having to create/find a disk to boot the restore wizard from. 

Aside from that, right?

Oh, and setting up VPN for you. :)

You mean aside from configuring Windows Deployment services for Client Restore (2012R2 specifically), so you can boot clients off of the network, without having to create/find a disk to boot the restore wizard from. 

Aside from that, right?

Oh, and setting up VPN for you. :)

I use Veeam Backup and Restore.  Covered. 

My router handles the VPN.  Covered.  Soooooo, like I said, nothing I don't already have.

I use Veeam Backup and Restore.  Covered. 

My router handles the VPN.  Covered.  Soooooo, like I said, nothing I don't already have.

Veeam doesn't have a PXE server for restore. that was my point. As that is what Windows Deployment Services does. 

Also, I've had issues with Veeam even working right... sadly.

As for the router, I hope you're not using PPTP. If you are, fix that, as it's very insecure. L2TP (or openVPN). 

I have been thinking about this, maybe it's a better idea to just install Windows 10 and use that for the server. The issue then is, I wanted to use active directory for authentication, or have something similar I could use for authentication on client devices. Maybe there is a Linux alternative? I got CENTOS 7 on the server now, but it seems a little "boring".

I have been thinking about this, maybe it's a better idea to just install Windows 10 and use that for the server. The issue then is, I wanted to use active directory for authentication, or have something similar I could use for authentication on client devices. Maybe there is a Linux alternative? I got CENTOS 7 on the server now, but it seems a little "boring".

Then Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials may be a good idea, as it's is a primary domain controller. 

And Microsoft does offer a 6 month eval version (that can be activated with a Retail/OEM key)