RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FAT32 DE

dvn

Vail is using FAT32 in DE. Seems strange that they would take a step back from NTFS, but there it is.

What are your thoughts on this? Pros? Cons?

From what I found out, VAIL/Aurora reports it as FAT32 but that's false.

In version 1 of WHS the format is NTFS and you could also put those drives into a PC if your server went down and you could get your files off. With v2 Drive Extender technology changed to a almost proprietary format that NTFS is an underlying format.

If you would put these formated drived in an other PC, they would show up as blank because PC's don't understand this format and the system would try and format them for you. You do not want this. So they decided to have them display as FAT32, but you will run into problems if you try and get the data off the drive. :blink:

All the more reason to backup those shares to a standard NTFS format, just back them up, anywhere!!!

From what I found out, VAIL/Aurora reports it as FAT32 but that's false.

In version 1 of WHS the format is NTFS and you could also put those drives into a PC if your server went down and you could get your files off. With v2 Drive Extender technology changed to a almost proprietary format that NTFS is an underlying format.

If you would put these formated drived in an other PC, they would show up as blank because PC's don't understand this format and the system would try and format them for you. You do not want this. So they decided to have them display as FAT32, but you will run into problems if you try and get the data off the drive. :blink:

OK. This kind of stirs my memory of past discussions. I think people were wondering if MS was going to provide some sort of shim to allow out desktop OS's to read these drives. If that were even possible. One thing for sure, this is even more reason to schedule backups of the server itself. Either way, I'd think that MS would provide some sort of way to perform data recovery on a drive when it becomes necessary. This info doesn't give me confidence. I wonder what they'll do about it.

That's what I understand as well. It seemed to generate a lot of controversy with the first release of the beta. I think it would help some if MS could post what features this buys them, i.e. faster performance, less overhead associated with balancing drives, etc. It really seems to be a design decision that tramples on something a lot of V1 owners were doing to get around some issues with the product.

Exactly. This is something that needs addressing. As you said, this is something people have been able to rely upon. Guys like Dave who install this in a business setting know that in the worst case scenario he can always attach a server drive to another PC and pull data. If it remains the way it is now, there'll be one less recovery option. One less safety net.

Out of curiosty, who here has actually been in a situation where this was their only recovery option? I've never actually had to do that, but I have attached a pooled drive to verify that I could see and pull data.

Guest no-control

I'm in this situation right now. I'm pulling data from the old server data drives into a new server install. Its not fun but I can tell you it would be a lot less fun if I lost all the server data. Sometimes server recovery just doesn't work and once you go there you're screwed.