RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win 7 Pro as O/S on G1610T

Mr Bean

I have recently purchased an HP Proliant G1610T micoserver. I am hoping to use as a server for a couple of single user licence programmes I have (so that I can access from different PCs around my home) and to replace an obsolete Netgear NAS.

I drew the inference from Joe_Miner's excellent article that it was not necessary to install a true server based O/S as one could use Win 7 Pro plus appropriate R2008 drivers to achieve server functionality. Have I misunderstood this?

To the best of my knowledge, both the applications I wish to run on a networked (single user) basis simply need Win 7 (not a server version) in order to run in that configuration. They can be installed to operate over a network.

I followed Joe's on-line video about installing Win 7 plus additional drivers. I installed the Win 7 via one USB stick and the B120 and NIC drivers from another USB stick during Windows install.

I have used a 240Gb SSD for the Win 7 and have 2 off 3TB HDD for data.

Everything seems to have worked in that under SSA, Array A comprises 1 logical drive in Bay 5 and Array B comprises the 2 off 3TB drives configured for Data in Bays 1 and 2.

On completion of set-up, Win 7 boots OK and I have internet access.

However, this is my first foray into the world of servers and I have stalled at this point. For, I was expecting to be able to see the 2 off 3TB data disks in Windows explorer but they are not visible. Am I likely to be missing a driver to enable this or again, have I totally misunderstood how the server works?

Also, to enable the 2 off data HDDs to operate as NAS drives, do I need to install something like FreeNAS?

Is there anything else I am likely to need to meet my objectives at the top of the page?

Help and advice much appreciated.

How is Array B configured?  RAID1, RAID0?

Using the B120i ---- All you will be able to see in Windows is the Logical Drive you created -- not the underlying physical HDDs -- and then only in Windows Disk Management until you initialize and format the Ligical Drive(s) -- after that you will be able to see them in File Explorer.

Hi Joe - Thx for prompt response.

Under Intelligent Provisioning, Array B is listed as Raid 1 (Array A is listed as Raid 0).

Under Smart Storage Adminstrator the following is listed:

Attached Devices:

SATA Solid State Array

Logical Drive 1

----------------------------------

SATA Array B

Logical Drive 2

Physical Drive (3TB SATA HDD)  1I:1

Physical Drive (3TB SATA HDD)  2I:2

Physical Drive (250 GB SATA SDD)  5I:1

When I view in Windows Disk Manager, I can see Disk 0 (the 240 GB SSD containing the O/S) and Disk 1 (one of the 3TB data drives). The second data drive is not visible.

How and from where do I initialise and format the data drives as you suggest/recommend?

Apologies for being a noob on this subject.

P.S. I do not know if this is relevant but there is an error mssg regarding the B120i SATA Raid ib Embedded Slot that states: Array Controller read cache was configured for this controller, but the system was unable to allocate the requested system memory. The read cache memory is set to 0MB.

At the moment, I only have 2GB of memory fitted and another 8GB module is on its way to me. I the error mssg related to the small amount of RAM currently fitted?

Thanks schoondoggy - I guessed that was probably the case but does it have any knock on effects that may be related to the problem on not being able to see the data disks?

When I ordered the server and HDDs, the supplier had no stock of the 8GB memory module and this was shipped the next day (when their new shipment arrived). Whilst the server and disks were couriered and arrived within 2 days, the RAM has come by regular mail and I have been waiting well over a week. Patience isn't my strong suit so I pressed ahead with the configuration with only 2GB RAM in anticipation this would not cause any problems.

Once I can get access to the data disks, I also want the server to operate as a NAS. As I previously asked, will I need a separate application to achieve that?

Hi Joe - Thx for prompt response.

Under Intelligent Provisioning, Array B is listed as Raid 1 (Array A is listed as Raid 0).

Under Smart Storage Adminstrator the following is listed:

Attached Devices:

SATA Solid State Array

Logical Drive 1

SATA Array B

Logical Drive 2

Physical Drive (3TB SATA HDD)  1I:1

Physical Drive (3TB SATA HDD)  2I:2

Physical Drive (250 GB SATA SDD)  5I:1

When I view in Windows Disk Manager, I can see Disk 0 (the 240 GB SSD containing the O/S) and Disk 1 (one of the 3TB data drives). The second data drive is not visible.

How and from where do I initialise and format the data drives as you suggest/recommend?

Apologies for being a noob on this subject.

P.S. I do not know if this is relevant but there is an error mssg regarding the B120i SATA Raid ib Embedded Slot that states: Array Controller read cache was configured for this controller, but the system was unable to allocate the requested system memory. The read cache memory is set to 0MB.

At the moment, I only have 2GB of memory fitted and another 8GB module is on its way to me. I the error mssg related to the small amount of RAM currently fitted?

You are only seeing one 3TB logical drive because you have the two 3TB drives in a RAID1.

Thanks schoondoggy - obvious when you think about it. Have now formatted the drive in Disk Manager and can see in Win Explorer ( or File Manager as I prefer to call it !!)

So, just need to resolve the NAS issue and then I can load the applications I wish to access from any one of multiple PCs.

Thanks schoondoggy - obvious when you think about it. Have now formatted the drive in Disk Manager and can see in Win Explorer ( or File Manager as I prefer to call it !!)

So, just need to resolve the NAS issue and then I can load the applications I wish to access from any one of multiple PCs.

Hi Mate,

Im sure you could just set up a fileshare over your network? I have done this to share files, create backups etc.