RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Who else is missing the beloved 'Windows Media Center' in Windows 10?

itGeeks

If your missing the beloved 'Windows Media Center' in Windows 10 then today I am going to make your day! I just came across a post when I was looking for something else and to my amazement it did indeed work, I now have 'Windows Media Center' installed on my Windows 10 workstation by following the directions below :) I can't confirm if the TV portion works because I don't have a tuner installed but I have no reason to believe it won't work. Even though I can confirm following the directions & downloading the files worked for me I can NOT and will NOT be responsible if something goes wrong when you try this so as always do this at your own RISK and be sure to have a good backup of your system before you proceed. If you decide to proceed enjoy your new 'Windows Media Center' on Windows 10  :D

Link with directions courtesy of Windows Central

http://www.windowscentral.com/install-media-center-windows-10

It should, I think.

However, recently ran across people getting WMC running in WHS2011 and Server 2012R2 Essentials. That's probably a lot cooler. And live TV definitely seems to work, so a real "media server" (though the 2012R2 requires you to run it before setting up the server)

It should, I think.

However, recently ran across people getting WMC running in WHS2011 and Server 2012R2 Essentials. That's probably a lot cooler. And live TV definitely seems to work, so a real "media server" (though the 2012R2 requires you to run it before setting up the server)

Interesting.

Definitely. 

And I suspect that the same process would work on Server 2016 Essentials. Which would be nice, too. :)

I would need to hear that someone was able to get playready stabilized with cablecard on this hack before I would bother with it, I have trouble doing that with a new instance of win7!

Edited by nrf

Using WMC on Windows 10 probably violates software use license agreements, as well.

That's not counting the fact that they're redistributing copyrighted files without permission. 

I am not a lawyer. morally, we paid for that program when we bought win7 or added it to win8, so when microsoft removes it from the next os it seems like a corrupt action of destroying what we paid for. I am not a lawyer.

I am not a lawyer. morally, we paid for that program when we bought win7 or added it to win8, so when microsoft removes it from the next os it seems like a corrupt action of destroying what we paid for. I am not a lawyer.

I am not a lawyer, but my wife is, but this is not  her area of expertise.

It is my understanding that we are not buying software/operating systems, we are buying a EULA (end user licensing agreement). The EULA sets up the agreement between the user and the vendor. We have the right to use the software as they have designed it and they have the responsibility to support it for the life of the software. 

I paid for WMC to add to Windows 8 Pro, but it is only licensed for Windows 8, not Windows 10.

• Like 1

right. I am speaking from a morality point of view. it is immoral to take something away like that. Legalese always protects vendors so they can do anything they darn well please with impunity but that does not make their actions right/just/moral.Shrink wrap licenses clearly benefit the author of the license and there is no way to negotiate terms. a fact of life but not the moral high ground.

in terms of lessons learned, I can't help but think that users who opted out of the WMC 'experience' data collection feature resulted in a low count of wmc users. I bet a more accurate count could be gleaned from the computers collecting the listings data.

Edited by nrf