RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Raid 1 Setup

akz_g

Hi guys,

Need some advice on setting up a raid on my gen 8. First time doing this so sorry if not clear enough or using the correct word.

So I currently have an SSD running my OS. I then have a 2tb WD Red for all my other files, backups etc. I am now looking to buy another 2tb WD Red to run in raid 1 with the first to mirror.

My question is am i able to set this up without losing the data on the 1st 2tb hdd? Or can i add them both to a new array controller and set it to raid 1?

All advice will be appreciated!

Cheers

Akeem

ALWAYS have your data backed up.

Is the 1st 2TB HDD already attached to your B120i as a RAID0?  What is your OS? is your SSD a Single drive RAID0?

If I understand correctly what you want to do (and knowing nothing else about your setup): To set up a RAID1 with your two 2TB HDDs in the B120i the B120i will destroy any data existing previously on the HDDs.  

Other options may be possible but we know nothing about your setup.

ALWAYS have your data backed up.

Is the 1st 2TB HDD already attached to your B120i as a RAID0?  What is your OS? is your SSD a Single drive RAID0?

If I understand correctly what you want to do (and knowing nothing else about your setup): To set up a RAID1 with your two 2TB HDDs in the B120i the B120i will destroy any data existing previously on the HDDs.  

Other options may be possible but we know nothing about your setup.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

So I am running Win Server 2012 R2 running from the SSD which is single drive RAID0. The 1st 2TB HDD is also attached as RAID0.

Im guessing I will have to back up the 1st 2TB before putting into RAID1 with the second HDD as it will be wiped? I thought this would be the case as I assumed it would wipe the disk when putting into a new RAID1. Just wanted some confirmation before I attempt this.

Thanks for all the help.

So what I plan on doing is:

• Backup existing data onto another hdd
  • Add the new 2TB HDD
  • Place both in RAID1
  • Both drives wiped at this point?
  • Restore my data

I shall post my outcome soon.