RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommended Graphics Card Virtualisation

thedelph

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to install a low profile graphics card for use in my Gen8.

At the moment I run VM's in Hyper-V, however the resolution of the Guest OS can only scale to around 1366x768.

I Remote Desktop to my server from a 15" macbook pro which runs at 2880x1800 therefore the VM Console Window looks tiny.

I won't be doing any gaming and this isn't currently used as a HTPC. I run Sabnzbd, Sonarr, Couchpotato and Plex Server on this gen8, and then connect in from Xbox one to watch media.

Current specs are default apart from:

SSD in optical drive bay

Xeon e3-1265v2 - passively cooled 
16GB RAM
Running Stable Bit DrivePool so no need for RAID card

All opinions welcome :)

Hmm.. I'm no expert, but I don't have a GPU in my Gen8 (have the same CPU as you though) and I run ESXi6.

My client machine is a Windows 10 PC running at 2560x1440 on a 27" display. I remote desktop to a Windows 10 VM which is my Plex server and runs Stablebit and that also shows up at 2560x1440. So it doesn't appear to be a limiting factor related to the onboard Matrox of the Gen8?

Maybe VMware is a bit cleverer than Hyper-V?

What host and gues OS are you using?

The reason I ask is is that 2012+ as the host and Windows 8+ as the guest should support "enhanced sessions" which support much higher resolutions.

Additionally, why not just RDP into the guest (assuming it's a windows client). 

As for GPU virtualization (RemoteFX), this required RDP CALs or expires after 180 days.

What host and gues OS are you using?

The reason I ask is is that 2012+ as the host and Windows 8+ as the guest should support "enhanced sessions" which support much higher resolutions.

Additionally, why not just RDP into the guest (assuming it's a windows client). 

As for GPU virtualization (RemoteFX), this required RDP CALs or expires after 180 days.

He's using a Macbook Pro as the client, but that still supports RDP - I used to use it when I had a Macbook Pro.

I think VMware tools may be what allows the higher resolutions on ESXi, not sure if Hyper-V has something similar?

At the moment host is 2012 R2 and VM is Windows 7 Starter (so no RDP currently).

I might upgrade to Windows 10 on the VM and hopefully be able to make use of the "enhanced sessions" you mention.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit Host server OS is Windows 2012, but my end client is Macbook pro

Edited by thedelph