RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iLO 4 issues

Pete

Ok, got my nifty server in yesterday.  I must give Newegg kudos here.  I ordered my server and items on Tuesday around noon and everything arrived by Wednesday 4pm and that was with regular 4-7 day shipping.  I guess it was due to the fact that everything was in stock at their Indianapolis center and I'm close to Louisville, KY.

Anyways, on to my topic.  Setup the server, connected all my cables (monitor, KB/Mouse, network, power) and turned her on.  Server rebooted a few times and then it entered its "searching for media" state.  I noticed my iLO4 IP address in the corner and went to my main computer to try and connect.  OK good. Had some issues downloading the SPP from HP, couldn't register my equipment as the "service was temporarily down", so I did an on-line chat with HP and they directed me to the FTP site.  Good to go, well almost.  I noticed in the iLO4 web gui that I couldn't use virtual media without getting iLO4 advanced.  So off to eBay and purchased a copy and asked the guy to email me the code (which he did in about 20 minutes).  Then I couldn't get the virtual media to connect.  Then I decided to try the "console" option and BAM!  I was in and I was able to map my .ISO to a virtual CD/DVD and all was good from there.  Ran the SPP to update firmware and other items...rebooted, ran the interactive portion to set up my array for my 2x SSDs (good to go), and then installed server 2K12R2 standard.  (now logging into server from the keyboard/monitor) After that was done, I changed my IP in server to a static, changed my server name and rebooted.  Hmmm.  On the boot screen, my iLO4 IP is still the old one it pulled from DHCP.  I remoted into iLO4 from my main computer, went to Network, and unchecked DHCP and set the static IP to that which I set my server.  It came up with a message that "there are pending changes that won't be in effect until iLO is reset" ???  Well, I rebooted the server, the iLO4 IP on the boot screen has changed, but I can't remote connect via the new IP.  It's still using the old IP.  Logging into the server, the server shows the new IP.  Checking iLO4 remote session and it still has that message "there are pending changes that won't be in effect until iLO is reset".  So, how do I "reset" iLO for this to take effect?  Also, I downloaded the remote app for my iPad.  Works great, as long as I'm at home and on my local network.  How can I set up my router to allow me to connect to my server when I'm outside my home network?  Isn't that the whole point of "remote management", to be able to connect to your server "where ever you are"?

Thanks guys!

Pete

The iLo IP address needs to be different to the one assigned to the server itself - effectively it's a separate computer in its own right.

For remote access, you'll need to open and forward the relevant ports on the firewall to the server's address - I think port 443 will be enough.

John 

What jem101 said. The iLO management controller is basically a separate system inside your server. The way that the ML10 is setup is that iLO shares one of the physical Ethernet ports used by the server itself. Both can use the port at the same time. You should set iLO to its own IP address and your server to a different one. Rebooting the server won't affect iLO unless you cut power to the machine entirely or use the Reset iLO option in the iLO GUI.

Also, I downloaded the remote app for my iPad.  Works great, as long as I'm at home and on my local network.  How can I set up my router to allow me to connect to my server when I'm outside my home network?  Isn't that the whole point of "remote management", to be able to connect to your server "where ever you are"?

No. It just means you don't need to be in front of the server. Remote access from outside of your LAN is something you need to sort out on your router yourself. Whether that is via a VPN connection or restricted port forwarding. It is not recommended to expose the iLO controller directly to incoming connections from the internet without any restrictions.

For reference the iLO will continuously draw 4.5-5W of power on this server even when the server is off (as long as it is plugged into AC power).

• 3 months later...

This iLO stuff is killing me. I'm not an 'absolute' n00b, but I'm feeling pretty damn close. I haven't been able to install my OS because I've been spending so much time registering with HP/HPE, figuring out how to install their firmware (switching between their multiple systems and relogging, etc). I think looking at Pete's initial comment, I still have to get the Advanced iLO 4 license before I can proceed, then I can update my upgraded components- RAM and a NIC PCI extender. Then maybe I can finally access BIOS.

Is there another way to access BIOS without going through iLO? I've been pressing F9 and F11 at startup (and F2, F5- maybe I should just try them all...), it just shows the iLO screen then blanks.

Normally, the BIOS should be accessible through F10; F9 is the boot order.

You can get to the BIOS with a normal keyboard, mouse and monitor, but F10 going through the iLO should work fine. 

If it's showing the iLO screen and blanks, you may have another video card installed, and suddenly, it's being initialized and taking over.  iLO is part of the onboard Matrox video.

You need to go in to BIOS, then set the onboard video card as always enabled, even when a video card is installed; otherwise, the onboard video will disable itself.  You may have to fiddle with whether it is primary or secondary.

This iLO stuff is killing me. I'm not an 'absolute' n00b, but I'm feeling pretty damn close. I haven't been able to install my OS because I've been spending so much time registering with HP/HPE, figuring out how to install their firmware (switching between their multiple systems and relogging, etc). I think looking at Pete's initial comment, I still have to get the Advanced iLO 4 license before I can proceed, then I can update my upgraded components- RAM and a NIC PCI extender. Then maybe I can finally access BIOS.

Is there another way to access BIOS without going through iLO? I've been pressing F9 and F11 at startup (and F2, F5- maybe I should just try them all...), it just shows the iLO screen then blanks.

You don't need to do anything with iLo to load the OS unless you want to use it. The latest SPP will update all of your firmware and BIOS.