RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pete

Tech Preview 4 is out

Jason

Thanks Drashna. I'm usually one who will upgrade to latest technology. However those features may not be an incentive for me to do immediately. Moving from WHS 2011 to 2012 R2 was a significant upgrade for me in terms of client backup and system stability. Hope 2016 adds even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppapete

Ditto.  I would need more than that to move. I have 2016 running in a separate box as described above but can see no major changes/advantages.

Drashna Jaelre

Yup, exactly. As it stands, there isn't a significant reason to upgrade to Server 2016 Essentials, especially considering the price tag (most likely $400-500).  If you already own 2012R2 Essentials, then it's basically a waste of money.  

However, if you're using an eval version currently, or plan on it, then holding out for 2016 Essentials may be worth the wait. .... all things considered. 

I really wish I was still an MVP for this stuff. :(

jbalcius

It being a Tech Preview, it didn't seem quite as stable as 2013 r2.  I got a couple of unexpected restarts over the couple of days I had it installed on a test machine. 

Other than the things already mentioned, I didn't see much difference.  My Windows 10 client installed without issue.  It's less problematic to get the client working than on 2012.  I am happy that the UI is the Windows 10 UI.  I always felt that the Win 8 UI was terrible for a server.

The biggest problem for now, and I hope this gets addressed closer to release, is that the Windows Essentials Media Pack is not available for 2016.  So, if you want the media streaming capabilities of 2012 R2, you are out of luck.

Drashna Jaelre

I never had an issue with the Windows 8 UI. Once you learned it, it was fine. 

And WIndows 10 really doesn't change it a lot for me (I right click on the start menu primarily, and that functionality hasn't changed at all since Windows 8)

The biggest problem for now, and I hope this gets addressed closer to release, is that the Windows Essentials Media Pack is not available for 2016.  So, if you want the media streaming capabilities of 2012 R2, you are out of luck.

So a media streaming pack that can't stream 90% of the codecs in common use? Not really a loss IMO, when things like Subsonic, Plex and Emby are much more viable and better solutions, IMO. 

jbalcius

I never liked the Win8 UI myself.  Personal preference, I know,  but there it is.

The Media Pack is more significant in that without it,  you do not get the media streaming options at all in the Remote Web Portal to your server.   Just straight RDP and File access is nice, but the media streaming through the web access is nice and I use it.  I don't have to find a 3rd party solution to do it.  It was a separate install on WSE 2012 R2 I just expect that they haven't yet updated it for 2016.  I wouldn't be surprised if an updated release comes around in a bit.  It's just not there yet.

Drashna Jaelre

I never liked the Win8 UI myself.  Personal preference, I know,  but there it is.

The Media Pack is more significant in that without it,  you do not get the media streaming options at all in the Remote Web Portal to your server.   Just straight RDP and File access is nice, but the media streaming through the web access is nice and I use it.  I don't have to find a 3rd party solution to do it.  It was a separate install on WSE 2012 R2 I just expect that they haven't yet updated it for 2016.  I wouldn't be surprised if an updated release comes around in a bit.  It's just not there yet.

See above.

And to be blunt here, the media streaming option in 2012R2 can't handle 95% of my files. It's nigh useless in that case, and for a LOT of people.  Options like the ones I've listed provide much better format/codec support. With a little more work. 

For instance: Subsonic. Install and configure it, configure LDAP authentication, and then either open another port or set up a reverse proxy (all of this is stuff documented numerous places, including WGS). This provides a much better experience. 

Yes, it's not as integrated, but it does work much better.

Also, IIRC, the Media Pack was added months after the release, and specifically because there was an outcry for it.

mrmarkfr

Has there been any word on the price?  Are they going to offer a "reasonable" home version like they did with WHS2011, or is the least expensive option going to be Essentials at multiple $100s of dollars?

Drashna Jaelre

Has there been any word on the price?  Are they going to offer a "reasonable" home version like they did with WHS2011, or is the least expensive option going to be Essentials at multiple $100s of dollars?

GA/RTM is estimated for Q3 of this year. We'll hear more about it as the RTM grows closer.

But considering there hasn't be a significant change in the OS from the 2012R2 version, it will cost a similar amount as Server 2012 Essentials and Server 2012R2 Essentials ($400). 

Sorry.