RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Pete

Tech Preview 4 is out

jmwills

Server 2016 Essentials Preview 4 is out also on MSDN.

Poppapete

So I want to give this a try and have installed it on a machine connected to my LAN. Now I am worried that I have 2 servers on my LAN.

Will this cause problems?

Should I create a separate LAN to play with WS2016E?

Should I access the server via RWA (Can't use the connector as I have not connected any clients)?

Suggestions please!

nrf

it is but another computer, nothing special to be worried about unless you want it to take over some functions currently provided by other devices on your network. (remember even a 'client' computer can offer services like file sharing..) the simplest way to access it is with the remote desktop client. RWA usually comes over the internet, do you really need that? if so, it will need a different domain name from any other server you have that has RWA.

jmwills

Two servers would be possible but one would need to be on non-standard ports. By that I mean you would not be able to use Port 443 for both.

nrf

assuming this is for RWA, would't that be the port at the router (to be specific) as that port can map to 443 on the server itself...

jmwills

Yes, done at the router but you can only map one Port per IP address. In short, Port 443 can only be mapped once.

I use Port 4443 and change the bindings in IIS in order to run multiple servers.

Poppapete

That explains the error "Anywhere access to your server is blocked - check inbound ports 443 & 80" when using the anywhere access wizard.

I won't be trying to access it from outside my LAN so that won't matter but I now (thanks to you guys) know I can by manually mapping another port.

I can access it from my clients on my LAN.  I did give it another name but I always access RWA using fixed ip address's rather than computer names.

I connected a surface pro 3 with the connector wizard (using skipdomainjoin) and it backed up the surface no problem over a WIFI connection.

Main difference from 2012 setup is that it asks to join azure which I did. The Dashboard looks identical to 2012. Hyper-V is supposed to be much better but I only have 8GB of ram  and 120GB SSD on this test server so not much more I can try at present.

Interestingly the surface hadn't been used for a few weeks so it installed a couple of updates and the server connector was gone after the reboot. I had to load it from scratch to reconnect to the server. MS are having major problems with the client connector after updates!!!!

Jason

Has anyone done a comparison of features from WSE2012R2 to the new 2016 Essentials yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

Has anyone done a comparison of features from WSE2012R2 to the new 2016 Essentials yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2016#Features

Wikipedia usually does. :)

Namely, "Windows Defender" aka "Windows Server Antimalware" is enabled and configurable (via the dashboard).. 

Storage Spaces has some improvements. 

IIS Support is improved. 

The dashboard is redesigned slightly, so disabling "add-ons" is significantly easier to find...

And most importantly, Server 2016 Essentials can join an existing domain without having to be the primary domain controller.