RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

i3-3250 & i3-3240 CPU support

psleo

Hi guys.

I saw a lot of topics (about supported CPUs) on this forum saying that i3-3250 and i3-3240 CPUs are supported by HP MicroServer Gen8.

I don't understand exactly how, because these CPU's are not supporting ECC memory and I know that the mainboard from this server uses unbuffered DDR3 ECC memory.
According to the links below, Intel states very clear that these CPUs don't support ECC memory.

http://ark.intel.com/products/74744/Intel-Core-i3-3250-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/65690/Intel-Core-i3-3240-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz

Either Intel's specs are not fully compliant with reality, or this server's motherboard supports also normal non-ECC memory paired with non-ECC supporting CPUs.
So, did I miss something?

Thanks a lot.
Bye.

When these parts were originally released they where listed as ECC. Intel then removed ECC from the spec's. Now HP is shipping a Gen8 MS with a i3 and ECC memory. Just a guess only part, but it may be a certain screening of the part or a BIOS tweek to gett ECC on this i3.

So if I buy now one piece of i3-3250 for my Gen8 microserver, it would be a total guess if it works or not. I suppose there are no known/tested BIOS tweaks for it to make it work with ECC RAM. Am I right?

Thanks a lot!

• 3 months later...

Just a quick question for those in the know, but now with the i3-3240, does this mean we can use non ECC memory??

Just a quick question for those in the know, but now with the i3-3240, does this mean we can use non ECC memory??

I had to try some different brands of NON-ECC memory before our i3-3240 would boot to a OS, it would stick at 90% and get no further.

with the stock ECC ram supplied with the Gen8, no issues booting or using an OS, as for whether ECC is actually used.....you can read all the discussions on here!

Also HP, have stated and added support for i3-3240 in the BIOS, it's states in the release notes.

also the i5-3470T BOOTs and works as well using stock ram supplied with Gen8.

see here

http://andysworld.org.uk/2016/04/28/experiments-with-different-intel-processors-in-a-hpe-proliant-microserver-gen8-part-2/

Added support for Intel i3-2130 and i3-3240 processors.

From the HP Website for firmware for Gen8!

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7298965&swItemId=MTX_972a1cf50a3b43e8b2403c0c48&swEnvOid=4183

Edited by einsteinagogo

Thanks buddy, very helpful :)

I'll just stick with ECC, like you say, whether or not it's used I guess it's a case of getting whatever is compatible.  I've seen a pair of 8GB UDIMMS for a reasonable price so I'll just max it out with those.  Interestingly the i3-3240 I've installed is the Malaysia version (which seem to run cooler??) and it says it supports 32GB, so I may even try a pair of 16GB modules.

Thanks buddy, very helpful :)

I'll just stick with ECC, like you say, whether or not it's used I guess it's a case of getting whatever is compatible.  I've seen a pair of 8GB UDIMMS for a reasonable price so I'll just max it out with those.  Interestingly the i3-3240 I've installed is the Malaysia version (which seem to run cooler??) and it says it supports 32GB, so I may even try a pair of 16GB modules.

It's already been discussed. There is no 16 Gb Unbuffered ECC module.

Interestingly the i3-3240 I've installed is the Malaysia version (which seem to run cooler??) and it says it supports 32GB, so I may even try a pair of 16GB modules.

It supports 32GB across 4 DIMM slots. HP only fitted 2 DIMM slots in the Gen8 Microserver.

As Metallus mentions above, the 16GB DDR3 ECC UDIMMs basically don't exist. A couple companies have mentioned that they'll make them if you're an OEM putting in a massive order but AFAIK you can't actually buy them retail. It won't be cheap anyway and compatibility is uncertain.