RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD EARS HDDs - Intelli-Park issue?

greenawayj

Interesting that the article says they prefer to use the align tool, even over the jumper.

Interesting. The jumper was what I had understood to be the preferred way, and in my experience with 3 of these drives, it has worked as advertised.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to benchmark the drive(s)?

I used CrystalDiskMark.

*I'd like to share some additional info/experience with WD20EARS HDD'ds:

This past weekend I decided to put a 3rd WD20EARS drive in my MSS EX495. I had used this particular drive unjumpered in a W7 test box. I also had used it in a jumpered config in another OS. Can't remember which but it's irrelevant. Anyway, I stuck this drive in my server, intending to add it as storage pool and turn on folder duplication which I've not used up til now. To make a long story short, it hung the server and I had to hard reboot. Over the next hour or so I tried reformatting it, inserting it unjumpered and jumpered, cursing...etc. I began to think I had a bad drive. Then I thought I'd try one more thing. I got out MHDD and performed an Erase of the whole drive which took over 3hrs. In short, that fixed the problem, whatever that 'problem' was. I put the jumpered drive in the server, initialized it, formatted it, and added it to the pool. And it seems to be just fine.

Now I can't tell you the technical reasons for why the drive was acting up to begin with. Partition corruption maybe? I can't really say. But I can say that this the 3rd WD20EARS drive I've put in the server and they all seem to be fine.

*I should also add that I'm not too sure I didn't once do something crazy like remove the jumper while the drive was attached to a PC before ever trying to add it to my server. Uh, don't ask. I'm sure I can't give one good reason for it, but lots of bad. :huh:

Edited by dvn

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• mrossco

• kermi

Top Posters In This Topic

DVN,

Not sure where I saw this and have not tried it myself but I read somewhere that when you partition with or without a jumper then remove/add the jumper, it may cause issues. Another words, once you commit the drive to not have a jumper and later add it, things may go squirely. All of the EARS drives I have used have gone straight from the bag to the server with a jumper and where formatted in WHS. Good information to know and thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations.

Just ordered 3 of these for my Vail build. I'm planning on removing the jumper and using these as-is. I'm really curious to see how well these work w/o translation.

Yes, Vail will support these drives out of the box without jumpers or any special software. This issue is limited to XP and Server 2003.

To jumper... or not to jumper... that is the question. Whether it is nobler to WD Align that suckah or go boldly where no man has gone before and jump all in, unjumpered and unaligned..... :D

Well depending on what you want to use the drive for.

the WD Align software won't even run in WHS, so that sorta limits your choices to a) jumper it. B) don't jumper it and suffer performance problems.

If you are trying it on your Vail box, no need to jumper it.

Edited by kermi

Well depending on what you want to use the drive for.

the WD Align software won't even run in WHS, so that sorta limits your choices to a) jumper it. B) don't jumper it and suffer performance problems.

If you are trying it on your Vail box, no need to jumper it.

You can run the WD align tools on another computer, then move the drive to the WHS pool. I worry about this method, further formatting will not change the alignment, so my question is how to you return to the original alignment? Hence the jumper.

You can run the idle tools from DOS from booting from a bootable floopy or disk. It is a DOS program. Or you can do it on another computer, then put it in your storage pool.

I have several of these drives.

Be aware there are now two versions with the same model number. One has 4 platters, one has 3 platters. How to tell the difference you say?

Well......

3 Platter = 4 black dots on face, all the rest steel, Product of Malaysia, 5VDC: 0.70A 12VDC: 0.55A Turn it over, ribs in star pattern with depressions, small circuit board about 1/4 of back, cut on an angle.

4 Platter = 6 black dots on face, black 'circle' under label, Product of Thailand, 5VDC: 0.60A 12VDC: 0.45A Turn it over, No ribs or depressions, half circuit board.

I purchased three of these drives last month, 1 from amazon, 3 platter, 1 from Dell, 3 platter, 1 from new egg, 4 platter. YMWV.

I'm using jumpers but changed the Intelli park crap using the WD tool DOS before installing. If Vail looks good when it is released, I want to be able to use them with Advanced format without too much hassle - in this case, remove jumper and format.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gringott

Very well thought out and an overall good strategy. I still say the intelli-park issue is overstated but if people are concerned, they can do what you did and change it. Thanks