• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• mrossco

• kermi

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite true, but as it reads on the HDD itself, you can re-align the AERS drives to be workable on XP / Server 2003 / WHS. Just keep in mind, that using AERS drives as OS-disks requires some serious hacking, because the WD-realignment tool doesn't run on WHS by default.

I stick with what I originally stated in my post months ago, use the jumper for storage drives (pool) and stay away from these drives for the OS. Vail will resolve this but until then, I would use a different drive for the OS and not mess the WD align utility.

I stick with what I originally stated in my post months ago, use the jumper for storage drives (pool) and stay away from these drives for the OS. Vail will resolve this but until then, I would use a different drive for the OS and not mess the WD align utility.

And i'll stick it with you :)

Guest no-control

Same goes for the Seagate Portable 3TB drives....

A while back, I bought my first 2 TB EARS HDD. I stuck it in my EX495 as a backup drive without jumpering it first. This did not crash my system, but the R/W performance was absolutely horrible. If I remember correctly, the benchmarks were on par with a crappy 8-year old 5400 laptop HDD. I pulled it back out, jumpered pins 7-8, slapped it back in, reformatted it, added it once more as a backup drive and the benchmarks shot up to advertised speeds.

To date, I've not had a problem with these drives. I'm currently using one as a pooled drive and one as a backup drive.

Edited by dvn

That is the exact symtem. What DVN described is exactly what happens if you do not jumpter the drive for the data pool. My recommendation is not to use an EARS drive for the system at all until Vail comes goes gold.

Here's a good article on the Western Digital's Advanced Format drives before they came out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2888

Interesting that the article says they prefer to use the align tool, even over the jumper.

A while back, I bought my first 2 TB EARS HDD. I stuck it in my EX495 as a backup drive without jumpering it first. This did not crash my system, but the R/W performance was absolutely horrible. If I remember correctly, the benchmarks were on par with a crappy 8-year old 5400 laptop HDD. I pulled it back out, jumpered pins 7-8, slapped it back in, reformatted it, added it once more as a backup drive and the benchmarks shot up to advertised speeds.

To date, I've not had a problem with these drives. I'm currently using one as a pooled drive and one as a backup drive.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to benchmark the drive(s)?

Edited by ikon