RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD EARS HDDs - Intelli-Park issue?

greenawayj

Earlier today, I posted a link to a NewEgg special (good today only) for 2 TB WD Green EARS HDDs for $99. I'm currently down to 500GB of 2.5 TB in my HP EX495 but I have two bays free and I think I'd like to add two of these puppies (so that I can continue to rip my Blu-ray and DVD collection...)

I've been doing my background research on this drive and I think I understand the advanced formatting issue with WHS...

1. Don't use as a system drive -- I'm not --- and j

2. Just jumper 7-8 and I'm all set to use it as a pool drive

However, I've searched and haven't seen too much discussed recently on the topic of Intelli-park issue which causes the Load Cycle Count to increment very rapidly because the drive parks after 8 seconds of idle...

Does anyone know anything about this and whether or not it's something to be concerned about (PC Doc seems to be pretty knowledgeable on these drives). I think I read there's a utility to turn off Intelli-park, but I'm not even sure it's something I can do with a preconfigured HP setup...

Thanks in advance,

John G

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• mrossco

• kermi

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been running one for quite some time with not issues. The intellipark issue is mainly around the RAID. There have been reports of drives popping in and out of the RAID configuration when park. This intellipark feature has been around in some of the other WD drives for a while. The problem was aggravated by the Advanced format issue. My suggestion is you should have no problem as long as you do not use them for system drive and jumper the pool drives.

Thanks PCDoc. I figured if you were using these, (based on your reply to Jim's thread a few months back),then I'd be fine.... Figured I'd throw it out here.

For those not familiar with the 'issue', some forums I have read suggest that the 'waranteed life' of these drives with regard to Load Cycle Count projected to about 8-10 months (waranteed -- not expected life) because of the Drive head parking so frequently when the drive is not accessed regularly -- It seems that when WHS Disk Management is running, it could be exaggerated even worse. I'm referring to this thread (among others...) http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/13241-western-digital-green-load-cycle-count/

Anyway, if others have been running solid, I'm not going to worry too much any more. But it seems like WD would want to make this setting more user-configurable to alleviate this problem when these drives are used in high access rate (but not continuous access) settings....

I have several of the drives in 2 separate servers, so far so good, about 4 months on the clock.

I have a question though, why not use the drive as system drive? I did originally set mine up this way, it is not anymore, as I have gone to a 250gig Barracuda for system drive, but I am curious.

I have several of the drives in 2 separate servers, so far so good, about 4 months on the clock.

I have a question though, why not use the drive as system drive? I did originally set mine up this way, it is not anymore, as I have gone to a 250gig Barracuda for system drive, but I am curious.

It has to do with the AERS-formatting.

WHSv1 doesn't natively understand it, and you can't use the jumper-method to make it compatible, because OS-drive is multi-partition.

You *can* use it as OS-drive, you just need to make it WHS-compatible with the WD software. As i haven't done it, i don't know if it'll mess you up if you already have data on the drive.

I have 2 EAD and 2 EAR drives and like the rest so far so good. I do not see any problems while streaming to multi extenders or any HDD intensive tasks.

Like many issues, things do get overstated and somewhat exaggerated. On a WHS, it could be a benefit as the most of the time the drives are just sitting. Secondly, I "think" that there is a WD utility that can alter this timing, although I did not confirm this nor have I tried it. All in all, I would not be too concerned and just enjoy.

Yes there is a version of the Acronis(sp?) for the Western Digital EARS drives that resets the sector/timing. I did do this with the one that I used as the OS drive in my WHS1 server when I started out, I installed the jumper and ran the WD/Acronis software BEFORE installing the WHS1 OS on that drive, I had no problems at all.

I have 2 EAD and 2 EAR drives and like the rest so far so good. I do not see any problems while streaming to multi extenders or any HDD intensive tasks.

I've currently got two 1 TB AERS drives in my v1. It used to have strange video playback issues, like suddenly freezing the playback. My GF initially installed the drives, so i never ended up checking what the label said. Problems are gone now, after i emptied them and set the jumper on pins 7-8, and re-added them to the pool.