RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Satellite vs. Cable TV

awraynor

We were in Costco the other day and the salesperson had a decent deal for DirecTV.

We had it a few years ago, but left due to many reasons. First was the way all the 

fees added up and lastly, I was finally able to get cable internet vs. DSL.

We are a bit frustrated with Charter at the moment and have thought about switching.

We bought in an established neighborhood and have a ton of mature trees. The downside

is the tops of some very tall pines is the exact angle and elevation the dish will be directed.

We're waiting until everything is in bloom again before having our situation evaluated

for signal quality.

It's probably been 5 years since we've had DirecTV so I assume it's better now. It's basically

one devil vs. the other, but any impressions on a satellite provider?

Have direcTV ....

Does it rain often where you live? Does it rain heavily? 

If so, you will see corruption in the image (and sound). And if the rain is heavy enough, it will disrupt the signal, and interrupt service. 

I live in San Diego, and this isn't usually an issue ("THE SKY IS FALLING!!" :P ), but when it was raining this winter, it did cause issues. 

Also, the company is owned by AT&T now, if that makes a difference to you.

I  never thought Direc was as bad as my wife thought it was. The salesperson of course spouted off some huge number of

satellites they have now so things will be better.

Our Charter cable has an archaic interface with a poorly performing DVR. Oh and my wife likes the NY Giants so the Sunday

ticket would be a positive. 

Our last neighborhood literally had only the obligatory tree planted with the house so that wasn't a problem. Here I am surrounded

by mature trees that are over 3 stories tall. When they bloom that could present a problem. Want a site survey before we obligate

to anything. 

I have DirecTV and I really enjoy the whole home DVR.  I have one DVR in my living room and the other 2 TVs have the Genie boxes.  I had DTV at my old house and I renewed with them when I moved to Wisconsin.  HOWEVER, I am no longer on a contract with them and the price has gotten kinda high.  When I originally got my new contract I looked at total cost for the 2 yr contract of DirecTV vs Dish vs Charter.  DTV was the best.  Now I am starting to rethink all this because I am paying too much for TV from DTV plus internet from Charter.

BTW- Chris is right that a heavy rain will interrupt the service.  This seems to have gotten worse (in my opinion) as they started cramming more and more data into their data stream.  I have had satellite TV since the early days of it being adopted.  My original Dish system would never wash out in the rain.  When I switched to DirecTV I also switched to HD broadcasts and the washout was more frequent.  Where I live now (same system I had in Illinois) it is about the same.  A heavy rain will mess up the signal.  The heavy rain does not need to be local at your house either.  If there is heavy rain between your dish antenna and the satellite it will also wash out the picture.  This happens at my house and usually within 5 minutes it is pouring rain locally.

Moved 15 years ago with Direct TV from new Mexico to Maryland. The setup worked fine in new Mexico where sunshine was dependable. In Maryland the system would stop working and most rains storms without obstructions. That was so annoying that I switched to cable.

Sounds like things are about the same as when I had DirecTV before. In May my introductory prices with Charter will go up even more

and it's already ridiculous. I have a middle of the road package without premium channels and pay over $100 already.

My wife's father is moving from Denver to the NC Mountains and is looking for new cable, internet and wireless. He's almost 70 and a

little tech challenged. Reaffirmed it's just trading one devil for another. They are all for profit businesses and you just have to pick your poison. 

Sounds like things are about the same as when I had DirecTV before. In May my introductory prices with Charter will go up even more

and it's already ridiculous. I have a middle of the road package without premium channels and pay over $100 already.

My wife's father is moving from Denver to the NC Mountains and is looking for new cable, internet and wireless. He's almost 70 and a

little tech challenged. Reaffirmed it's just trading one devil for another. They are all for profit businesses and you just have to pick your poison. 

Yup. Definitely.

It's picking the lesser of evils. Or the evil you can live with. Or ...  You get the idea. And yes, it does suck.