RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can i get by with Sophos Home edition?

Welcome to the forums! As schoondoggy said this is a true hardcore firewall its almost to good for home use. Using Sophos your going to have some setup pains to get threw. Sophos XG does not like mobile devices or gaming consoles so your going to have to bypass HTTP scanning & turn off the 'web filter' for those devices. We are hoping that the first big update for Sophos fixes these problems. As for hardware I know some HSS members are running Sophos on a Celeron J1900 and claim it works fine however I have not tested it myself. I just picked up a Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-1900 but a quick search shows everyone out of stock, Maybe you could find one used on ebay. If your into building a computer you could get this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129185 & Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497

Personally though with a household like yours unless your willing to be yelled at and put up with things not working till you find the right tweaks I almost want to tell you to just pre-order Luma @ A 50% Savings right now, schoondoggy. myself and a few others have pre-ordered Luma because it looks like its going to be a great product with a nice balance of security and ease of administration. If you have a big house or its multi story just get the 3 pack @ 249.00 That is a steel, Soon that price will be 499.00

I like the size and price of the GIGABYTE GB-BXBT-2807 but it only has 1 NIC and I don't see how you get a 2nd one in.   How do you get a 2nd NIC in there?  It seems like NewEgg has them in stock as I didn't see an out of stock on the item.  If I go the build route, I found this MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128698  It has 2 Intel NIC so its a bit more expensive.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• Cuco

• schoondoggy

• nrf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

people have been speaking about 'sophos' without distinguishing between UTM and XG versions. that may muddy the resulting discussions. in any case, a network that stops like that probably causes yelli

Welcome to the forums! As schoondoggy said this is a true hardcore firewall its almost to good for home use. Using Sophos your going to have some setup pains to get threw. Sophos XG does not like mobile devices or gaming consoles so your going to have to bypass HTTP scanning & turn off the 'web filter' for those devices. We are hoping that the first big update for Sophos fixes these problems. As for hardware I know some HSS members are running Sophos on a Celeron J1900 and claim it works fine however I have not tested it myself. I just picked up a Gigabyte BRIX GB-BXBT-1900 but a quick search shows everyone out of stock, Maybe you could find one used on ebay. If your into building a computer you could get this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129185 & Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157497

Personally though with a household like yours unless your willing to be yelled at and put up with things not working till you find the right tweaks I almost want to tell you to just pre-order Luma @ A 50% Savings right now, schoondoggy. myself and a few others have pre-ordered Luma because it looks like its going to be a great product with a nice balance of security and ease of administration. If you have a big house or its multi story just get the 3 pack @ 249.00 That is a steel, Soon that price will be 499.00

I like the size and price of the GIGABYTE GB-BXBT-2807 but it only has 1 NIC and I don't see how you get a 2nd one in.   How do you get a 2nd NIC in there?  It seems like NewEgg has them in stock as I didn't see an out of stock on the item.  If I go the build route, I found this MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128698  It has 2 Intel NIC so its a bit more expensive.

GotNoTime

I like the size and price of the GIGABYTE GB-BXBT-2807 but it only has 1 NIC and I don't see how you get a 2nd one in.

It has a Mini-PCIe slot inside for the WiFi/Bluetooth card. You'll need to somehow feed the wire out the case though. Probably through the security lock slot.

Another alternative would be a USB ethernet adapter but generally they're not a great idea.

If you are considering buying the Sophos XG-85, look at the Fortinet Fortigate 60d. Great firewall and easy to use.

I only considered the XG because I thought it was my only option.  Then I found the Home version might be good enough. 

I stumbled on the Google OnHub.  Seems like it has the ability to report on bandwidth usage per device which is something I really need/want.  Just seems that at $200 it would have many more features.  Reviews seem to point to a descent router but overpriced.  For me though, that is a major selling point.  It didn't mention anything about throttling though.

Seems like I can get a little from this router, a little from that router, a bit from another.  XG might be what I need/want but if its that complicated, it might not be for me.  I'm a software developer and don't want to spend time being a full time net op.

If you are considering buying the Sophos XG-85, look at the Fortinet Fortigate 60d. Great firewall and easy to use.

so evidently fortinet believes they need to be able to 'administer' their devices from the internet in spite of them belonging to us, is that a concern here?

schoondoggy

so evidently fortinet believes they need to be able to 'administer' their devices from the internet in spite of them belonging to us, is that a concern here?

Not sure as to what you are referring to, you can pay for a service to have Fortinet manage your firewalls, but I do not believe it is required.

That Gigabyte is not going to work very well for you not only is it less powerfull then a Celeron J1900 it only has a single NIC and it Realtek, Stay away from anything other then Intel NICs or your bound to have trouble with it. I am sorry I linked the wrong motherboard for you, Have a look at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157614

That board has dual Intel NIC's. When looking for a system for this type of use make sure it has Intel NIC's or chances are your going to have trouble. Sorry for posting the wrong link for the motherboard.

It has a Mini-PCIe slot inside for the WiFi/Bluetooth card. You'll need to somehow feed the wire out the case though. Probably through the security lock slot.

Another alternative would be a USB ethernet adapter but generally they're not a great idea.

I agree with you, A USB Ethernet adapter is not ideal for this type of application. He his better off with duel Intel NIC's either on-board or PICe

Edited by itGeeks

I only considered the XG because I thought it was my only option.  Then I found the Home version might be good enough. 

I stumbled on the Google OnHub.  Seems like it has the ability to report on bandwidth usage per device which is something I really need/want.  Just seems that at $200 it would have many more features.  Reviews seem to point to a descent router but overpriced.  For me though, that is a major selling point.  It didn't mention anything about throttling though.

Seems like I can get a little from this router, a little from that router, a bit from another.  XG might be what I need/want but if its that complicated, it might not be for me.  I'm a software developer and don't want to spend time being a full time net op.

Sophos is going to be work to setup & tune, No way around it. I will also add its going to be a thorn in your butt if you have mobile devices & gaming consoles. Don't get me wrong Sophos is top notch protection but it's not geared to home users. I still say you should take a hard look at Luma. We still don't know if Luma will deliver on its promise but a few of us have pre-ordered it in hopes that it is as good as it sounds.

The reviews I have read on the Goolge On Hub haven't been very good.

I can't wait for my Luma 3-pack as I have the same issues the original poster.

Another question. I believe it is Sophos that limits you to a certain amount of IP's. I have around 50 items on my home automation network,

not counting all the PC's, tablets, PC's, phones, media streamers, etc. I assume the home automation isn't just seen as a hub, if so

I am well beyond the device limits for the free version. 

Not sure as to what you are referring to, you can pay for a service to have Fortinet manage your firewalls, but I do not believe it is required.

I was referring to recent disclosures of a hard-coded ssh password that allowed fortinet into your router - they said it was not a vulnerability but rather an authorization issue. their patch did not remove or change the password, but will most likely allow them in in the future if they 'knock on' the right ports for it to open up again. hence the statement that they believe they need to be able to get into your fancy router without your permission. 

Edited by nrf