RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
raminger

HP Smart Array P420 - 3D printed Fan Bracket

schoondoggy

The plan is:

RAID1 for 2x SSDs (on a SDM)

RAID5 for 4x magnetics

You could use your P222 for the RAID 5 and the B120i for the RAiD 1. If you find the B120i is not up to the workload, you could migrate both RAID sets to a P420.

raminger

That's very weird.

Which cooling mode are you using?

With P421 running under ESXi 6, I'm around 16%

I tested it again, running with dynamic power saving and the P420 without fan. The P420 is around 75C with "load" created by crystal disk mark and the fan is around 12%.

The power mode is the same as before, but the case fan is running slower with higher temperatures on the P420, now I'm confused...  :mellow:

digo

HP ILO controls the fan speed to maintain 85C on this card.

I have this card in a ML350e Gen8, and the 2 fans run between 27% and 29%.

I'm very interested in this setup, or perhaps instead of adding a fan, I'd like to replace the heatsink on this RAID card.  Does anyone know what might fit?  I have room as no slot are occupied next to it.

http://imgur.com/8VlGZJt

Thanks,

Digo

LoneWolf

Nice job, Raminger.

As not all of us have access to a 3D printer, I think this is something you could easily sell if you can make more.  I know I'd buy a set or two.

LoneWolf

Does anyone know of any other differences between them, before I start shopping for a P420?  The QuickSpecs says the P4xx are 'Enterprise Class', whilst the P222 is 'Entry-Level' (whatever that means).

The -0 series of controllers (e.g, P410, P420) have 2 x internal ports

The -1 series of controllers (e.g., P421) have 2 x external ports

The -2 series of controllers  (e.g., P212, P222) have 1x internal and 1x external

The 4xx lines of controllers often come with a larger cache as stock.  I don't believe that the PMC-Sierra controller chipset differs between the 2xx controllers and 4xx controllers of the same generation though, and the cache can be upgraded with a larger size.  Maximum cache size depends on generation of controller.  On the 22x and 42x controllers, you can go up to 2GB of cache.  Note also that the smallest size of cache may be of a smaller bandwidth (i.e., the 512MB cache module may be 36-bits wide, and the 1GB/2GB modules may be 72-bits wide) and in the newest generation of controllers IIRC, has the same bandwidth but a lower bus speed, so larger caches usually have an added performance bonus, especially under sustained workloads.

As RAID arrays get larger, more cache is also beneficial, or if you work with large chunks of data.

Edited by LoneWolf